• 3 Post By Blow Vapor
  • 3 Post By spud
  • 3 Post By Blow Vapor
  • 2 Post By Gresh11
  • 2 Post By ssstahly
  • 1 Post By justdanno

Thread: Mod newbie

Mod newbie

Right...so...I have been madly googling and reading lots of forum threads on mods, batteries, kicks, RBAs, ohms law etc etc and must confess now to being confused, overwhelmed and a little weary of going down this path. I am currently vaping ok with an SVD and Provari using Protanks. Have managed to rebuild 1 micro-coil into the protank too!!

My reason for going down the mod path is probably something I don't need to explain to you...better vaping experience, a touch of shinyitis etc etc.

So now to my point. Am I ready for this step or not? I have procured the following:

- nemesis clone
    - sigelei kick 5-10w
    - batteries as recommended by the wonderful supersports6000
    - a good collection of RBAs, AGAT2, Fogger, Kayun lite clone
    - an ohm meter

My concern is blowing my face off. So, do you build your coils, check the ohms for above 1 (for newbie mod use), and then pop it onto the mod and away you go. Or do you check the battery voltage too?? I have seen a lot to reference to knowing and understanding ohms law. I have a calculator book marked. But what do I use it for? You put in known values and then what?

As you can see, my fear is that my knowledge and understanding just isn't quite there yet, and therefore I feel I am putting myself at risk.

Although the daughter of an electrician, I don't seem to have inherited a natural grasp of these concepts, so any further light you can throw on the topic in plain, jargon free English would really help. Analogies are most welcome!!

Many thanks in advance for helping me transition from this state of fear and ignorance!!
    DEATHGUYJ, spud and avtek like this.

The kick has voltage protection. It will stop the mod firing when battery gets to low. So you can't really over discharge. If your using without you will notice the drop in vape quality as time to change and charge batteries.
    308hjute, spud, justdanno and 1 others like this.

Not sure if you are using wire or ribbon, but depending on gauge of kanthal wire just wrap a few practice coils first around a mini screwdriver and mount them on the kayfun, dont worry about wick for this. This is pretty easy. Then use your provari or your ohm metre to check the ohm's. You should be able to figure out how many wraps you need to reach a suitable resistance. If you are concearned, wrap to 2.0 ohms and crank your kick to 8-10 watts. That should work out nicley. Then wrap one around some wicking material with the same amount of wraps.

As an example I know with 28 gauge kanthal that 5 wrap will give me 1.3 ohms. Which in a mech with standard IMR battery gives me about 10-12 watts depending on battery life. Its all about trial and error. But you have the gear, and your off to a good start.

Also, when you are ready, search youtube for a tutorial on wicking the kayfun with cotton (balls). Amazing flavour!!!
    Last edited by Blow Vapor; 13-12-13 at 02:24 AM.
    308hjute, avtek and justdanno like this.

Quote Originally Posted by justdanno View Post
    Right...so...I have been madly googling and reading lots of forum threads on mods, batteries, kicks, RBAs, ohms law etc etc and must confess now to being confused, overwhelmed and a little weary of going down this path. I am currently vaping ok with an SVD and Provari using Protanks. Have managed to rebuild 1 micro-coil into the protank too!!

My reason for going down the mod path is probably something I don't need to explain to you...better vaping experience, a touch of shinyitis etc etc.

So now to my point. Am I ready for this step or not? I have procured the following:

- nemesis clone
    - sigelei kick 5-10w
    - batteries as recommended by the wonderful supersports6000
    - a good collection of RBAs, AGAT2, Fogger, Kayun lite clone
    - an ohm meter

My concern is blowing my face off. So, do you build your coils, check the ohms for above 1 (for newbie mod use), and then pop it onto the mod and away you go. Or do you check the battery voltage too?? I have seen a lot to reference to knowing and understanding ohms law. I have a calculator book marked. But what do I use it for? You put in known values and then what?

As you can see, my fear is that my knowledge and understanding just isn't quite there yet, and therefore I feel I am putting myself at risk.

Although the daughter of an electrician, I don't seem to have inherited a natural grasp of these concepts, so any further light you can throw on the topic in plain, jargon free English would really help. Analogies are most welcome!!

Many thanks in advance for helping me transition from this state of fear and ignorance!!
    I make my coils and wicks, test the resistance, (I don't go below 1.3 ohms), on the ohm metre, and then also with the multimetre (I'm used to using one of these but you don't really need to if you have an ohm tester). Then I pop it on the vamo, wet the wick with a little juice, test resistance again then fire it up to check for hot spots, (I always wet the wick first). If all is good, I fill the tank, pop the cap on, and vape away

I also use good batteries from SS600 so one less worry. If they fire ok on the vamo I use them on the mech mods, but always test fire on the vamo first. (coils that is)

edit: I'm new to RBAs as well, so if I'm doing anything wrong here guys, please correct me
    Last edited by spud; 13-12-13 at 02:14 AM.
    avtek, justdanno and Blow Vapor like this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

I wouldnt wet the wick before testing for hotspots. You want the coils to glow evenly from the centre out, which they wont do if they are vaporising liquid. Its ok to dry burn your coils.
    Last edited by Blow Vapor; 13-12-13 at 02:26 AM.
    Driesy77, spud and justdanno like this.

AVF Regular
    Hi Spud this is handy advice from Blow Vapour. You want a dry coil for testing. Get it all even stevens and then go the juice. If everything gets really really way hot(enough to melt your isolators) put it down and try again later. Not saying what I do is right its just what I do!!
    spud and justdanno like this.
    LIVE AND LET VAPE
    POWER TO THE P.V.
    OFF THE SMOKES FOREVER

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Blow Vapor View Post
    Not sure if you are using wire or ribbon, but depending on gauge of kanthal wire just wrap a few practice coils first around a mini screwdriver and mount them on the kayfun, dont worry about wick for this. This is pretty easy. Then use your provari or your ohm metre to check the ohm's. You should be able to figure out how many wraps you need to reach a suitable resistance. If you are concearned, wrap to 2.0 ohms and crank your kick to 8-10 watts. That should work out nicley. Then wrap one around some wicking material with the same amount of wraps.

As an example I know with 28 gauge kanthal that 5 wrap will give me 1.3 ohms. Which in a mech with standard IMR battery gives me about 10-12 watts depending on battery life. Its all about trial and error. But you have the gear, and your off to a good start.

Also, when you are ready, search youtube for a tutorial on wicking the kayfun with cotton (balls). Amazing flavour!!!
    Just remember to take the mini screwdriver (or drill bit etc) out before you fire the mod

It is good to play it safe when starting and double check everything you do. Battery life, coil/s not touching anything, hotspots etc etc.

If using SS600's advice on batteries, it's just making sure you have above 3.5v when using and making sure your coil is 'short free'.
    spud and justdanno like this.
    supporter of genuine mods and attys

Quote Originally Posted by ssstahly View Post
    Just remember to take the mini screwdriver (or drill bit etc) out before you fire the mod
    That made me laugh!!

Thanks everyone for some really great guidance here!!!
    spud likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blow Vapor View Post
    I wouldnt wet the wick before testing for hotspots. You want the coils to glow evenly from the centre out, which they wont do if they are vaporising liquid. Its ok to dry burn your coils.
    Thanks BV, I was doing the "drop of liquid on the coil" thing because I was sometimes getting a hot spot between the coil and the top pin, and was given this advice from an experienced vaper and sparky. (oxidisation problem when fitting the wick in the coil). I try to get rid of the hot spot first, and in most cases this is just a matter of fiddling around a bit, make sure there are no shorts, (multi metre is good for this), put a drop, (and I do mean a drop) of liquid on the wick, and fire again. No more hot spot, nice even coil glow.

With the drippers I dry fire the coils before adding the cotton wick.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13