Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Rebuilding coils safely

AVF Regular

Rebuilding coils safely

With a bit of discussion lately about the safety of rebuilding RDAs, here's the list of steps I take to ensure my safety and piece of mind. It may seem like overkill for some people, and for others it may seem not enough.

Pre-check

1. Mod, RDA and battery are appropriate for the build and target resistance.
    2. Mod, RDA and battery are in good working condition - eg. clean battery and internal switch contacts, working locking ring, freely moving switch, tight posts, tight 510 connector, undamaged battery wrap, no battery puffing, correct voltage, etc.

Build steps

1. Battery, RDA and switch are removed from the mod.
    2. During installation of the coil, all posts are tightened down.
    3. Visual inspection of coils to ensure:
      • All excess wire has been removed and is as short as possible.
      • No possible shorts with the deck, posts, or with the top cap.

4. Ohm check. Resistance should be steady and not jumping around. A jumpy resistance is likely due to a loose post. Compare results to expected resistance based on wire, wraps, diameter and post distance.
    5. Initial test fire with battery, RDA (no cap) and switch reinstalled in mod. Initial fire is just a series of short pulses, taking into note that the coils are heating correctly (from inside out), and that the switch and/or mod aren't heating up.
    6. Remove RDA for another ohm check. Looking for jumpy resistances again, and whether the resistance has gone up or down from the pre-fire test.
    7. After threading the wick into the coils, another ohm check. Looking to see if anything was disturbed during the threading.
    8. Dry fire with the wick in place (silica only, don't do this with cotton). Looking again for correct heating of coils, good contact with silica. Then juice the wick and a longer series of test fires.
    9. Place cap on RDA, ensuring a good clearance, and another ohm check. This one is important as the cap can shift both the wick and coil causing near hard-short conditions.

Post-build
    1. Remain concious of switch and mod temperatures, and any shifts in vapour production.
    2. After the first few top-ups, the RDA goes for another ohm check.
    3. Periodically (every other day when in heavy rotation) the RDA goes for another ohm check to ensure no significant shifts in resistance. Also, a visual inspection to ensure posts are tight and that nothing's shifted around. For dual coil builds both coils should be ageing equally.
    4. ALWAYS be aware of your locking ring. It's one of the most important safety features you have.

As I said, some may see this as overkill, but it's what I consider the minimum to be safe for me. But each to their own I guess.

What I would say is that if you're doing less than this, consider what fault conditions you may be immediately missing, whether they are safely picked up by later checks in your own process, and the consequences if they are not caught.
    Last edited by luntingsir; 13-12-13 at 12:38 PM.
    D1git, margyb, <---cop and 32 others like this.

Brilliant post LuntingSir, nice to know I'm not the only one that does this sort of testing. I thought I was being a bit obsessive/compulsive about checking everything, then checking again. lol then checking again every time I use the RBA. I'm really conscious of the condition of my batteries as well, as my daughter nearly had a house fire from dodgy rechargables that she bought cheap to use in an expensive torch. One literally melted down and caught fire while charging. These were 18650 batteries that we see advertised ultra cheap on ebay and other websites for vaping as well as torches, she now buys hers from Supersports600 ebay shop. If she hadn't been home and had a working smoke detector, as well as the proper extinguisher, the outcome could have seen them lose their home to fire, and possibly their lives.

Lesson learnt, don't buy cheapo batteries, its not worth the risk.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

This is EXACTLY the kind of thing I've been looking for! Thank you Luntingsir for taking the time to put this together!! :-)
    Last edited by justdanno; 13-12-13 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Damn auto-correct!
    luntingsir and Bobthebuilder like this.

Brilliant! At least other people out there are as paranoid as I am of, well, happenings. I've seen a few lithium batteries burn out and I REALLY, really really really, do NOT want that happening near my face, especially when all that gas would be building up pressure inside whatever mod I'm using, even if it is somewhat ventilated.
    spud and Bobthebuilder like this.

This should be stickied boss.
    D1git, bk_renesis, Nakor and 1 others like this.

Great post/thread luntingsir - should definitely be stickied and mandatory reading for anyone starting into rebuilding
    Bobthebuilder likes this.

AVF Regular
    Definitely sticky material.

I will record my next coil build, as a demonstration of what not to do.

Super Moderator
    Have attached Blutack and thrown at wall
    Schtuck Bebe !
    Olfella, spud and Bobthebuilder like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    OMG my post got stickied. Totes amazeballs.

ಠ_ಠ

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by luntingsir View Post
    OMG my post got stickied. Totes amazeballs.

so my 0.09 is not safe yeah?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast