Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Altered1
  • 2 Post By porkchop
  • 1 Post By maggie

Thread: What are protected batteries used for?

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

What are protected batteries used for?

Thought I would try a better battery out but it doesnt fit my itaste 134 or Karmy K101.

I have a vrt and nemisis on the way.

As title says what are they used in normally?

Oh the battery was an Efest 18650 3100mAh Protected Battery

AVF Regular
    Protected batteries protects against common dangers, such as overcharge, overdischarge, short-circuit (overcurrent), and temperature. Probably a good thing in a mech. mods with a circuit board usually have these options built in to the board.

some sites list recommended batteries for the mod - for the 134 - I've seen AW IMR 18650 2000Mah recommended.

I'm still learning about the differences in batteries, but I understand 18650's should fit ?
    Last edited by Altered1; 21-12-13 at 12:19 PM.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    Protected Batterys have I strip inbuilt the side of them they can be a lil thicker than unprotected one and may not fit some tubes, EG: the Evic mod fits a unprotected 18650 Samsung , but NOT a 18650 Protected Panasonic..
    <"When ever I can I will try and give back to fellow Vapers as they have given to me." Master Sergeant Nov 2013>

AVF Regular
    Or the circuit is built into one end from what I have been reading
    Master Sergeant likes this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    The simply way to this for the use of protected battery:
    1. It is used for mechanical mod when the mod does not have alternate protection
    2. It may be used for vv/vw mod but some mods may not operate correctly
    3. You do not need to use protected battery for mechanical mod if kick/vape safe fuse is used as they have built-in protection circuit to protect from shots
    4. Note that the tube body may be too tight for protected battery in some mechanical mods

VTR is a vv/vw mod so it comes with circuit protection built-in. You do not need a protected battery for this mod.
    Nemesis is a mechanical mod and it doesn't come with circuit protection (unless you use kick or vape safe fuse) so you may use protected battery.

However, IMR battery and other high drain batteries such as 18650 Panasonic (with 10A output), 18650 Samsung (15A output) or 18650 Sony (30A output) are generally recommended. Always use higher amp output then your coil build so the battery can handle without stretching too much.

This video is a good intro on mech mod and sub ohm vaping. It talked about some battery safety things as well: #CloudChasing: Intro to Sub Ohm Vaping - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    Thought I would try a better battery out but it doesnt fit my itaste 134 or Karmy K101.

I have a vrt and nemisis on the way.

As title says what are they used in normally?

Oh the battery was an Efest 18650 3100mAh Protected Battery
    Fatman and oogy like this.
    Quit on 10.06.2013
    Ave Smoked: 15-20/Day for 22 years
    Spent on Smoke: $600/month when 1 pack = $18

Do they have stickers on them ? I bought expensive/ safe batts for the wood mod I bought and when the batts wouldn't fit Hubby just took stickers off and in it went, tight fit .. but a good shake and it's out ( ... stop laffin')
    Altered1 likes this.