Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Cleaning and maintaining your mod for dummies

Cleaning and maintaining your mod for dummies

Disclaimer:
    This is how I do it. You may use something faster/better/fancier but this works for me and it's easy to do and works great.

I try and do this maintenance every week with my mechanical mods and atomizers.
    Usually on Sunday afternoon I'll rewick and service everything I own. It doesn't take long and it is definitely worth it.

There is a big performance difference between a well maintained and serviced mod, and something that you just smash a fresh 18650 into every day and wipe the KFC off it with a refresher towel.

I haven't done anything to my mods for about 3 weeks so I thought it would be good to take pics and walk people through the process.

This is the basic equipment I use:
    - Jewelry Cleaner (guys steal this from wife's bathroom cupboard)
    - Autosol metal polish (girls steal this from husband's shed)
    - Jewelers screwdriver for disassembly

Steal a sink and MAKE SURE YOU PUT THE PLUG IN, and grab a couple of glasses.
    One glass for all your dirty parts, one glass for cleaned parts.

Here's the mod before cleaning.
    This brass alloy tarnishes really fast and is similar to the Paps Lux alloy.

You can see the contamination on the contacts and the threads leading to poor conductivity and performance.

Completely disassemble the mod.
    This means switch out, pull the switch apart, remove the delrin/insulators, remove the spring, pull the positive connector out, insulator off, o rings out, everything broken down completely into it's smallest components. Throw them all in the "dirty" glass.

Here's the telescope piece I'll be cleaning first.
    You can see the gunk in the threads here.

Drop the piece into the jewelry cleaner for a couple of minutes.

Give the whole part inside and out a good scrub with the included jeweler cleaning brush.
    Make sure the threads sparkle if there are any.

Give the part a rinse under water.

If you have been cleaning it every week, you are probably finished and can move it into the "clean" glass and start on the next piece.
    If you haven't kept up the maintenance and it isn't sparkling, or there are fine scratches, move onto the next part.

If it's still dirty or needs a little bit extra then keep going.

Wipe some Autosol onto the part.
    Thoroughly. Into everywhere. (this is probably a little too much but it doesn't matter).
    Autosol is a metal polish and is not very abrasive so won't affect your engravings.

Then grab an old tshirt or microfibre cloth if you are really fancy, and start buffing the polish off.
    Give it another quick rinse under the tap and you have a nice clean piece.

Then you are done.

Move onto the next part. Then the next. Then the next.
    Make sure you do every part of your device.
    Particularly every electrical connection point.

Here is a pic of the clean part reinstalled into the rest of the dirty mod, just to see the difference.

Before and after

Now back to the rest of the filthy pineapplepineapplepineapplepineapplepineapple.

You see everyone asking "does this mod hit hard?" or "what's the voltage drop?"

The important thing is to make sure that it is going to perform just as well next week and the week after.
    I guarantee any mod will hit harder with a good cleaning and proper maintenance.
    Captain, ckane, kptrip and 19 others like this.

Retired Account
    I just found a big bottle of "Tarn off" under the sink, with all the other non-nicotine poisons. Any thoughts on that stuff, <---------------cop? (Or anyone else?) I know some people are really anti brasso and the like because they eat/scratch the metal itself.

Huge respect for how well you take care of your stuff too! Thanks for sharing the tips

AVF Regular
    Nice work cop Did you manage to rub one out while you were at it?
    kptrip, Driesy77 and Juzm like this.
    Move along!!! Nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsgruffy View Post
    I just found a big bottle of "Tarn off" under the sink, with all the other non-nicotine poisons. Any thoughts on that stuff, <---------------cop? (Or anyone else?) I know some people are really anti brasso and the like because they eat/scratch the metal itself.

Huge respect for how well you take care of your stuff too! Thanks for sharing the tips
    Haven't heard of it. You just don't want it too abrasive if you have engravings or it is silver/brass/gold plated. If not, it doesn't matter AFAIK.

I only do it so it performs at it's best.
    mrsgruffy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ckane View Post
    Nice work cop Did you manage to rub one out while you were at it?
    Multiples.

AVF Regular
    tarn off is non abrasive from memory - just dilute (i think) and dip the brass in it, rinse w water. U still have to polish though

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

No reason that the insides shouldn't be as spotless as the outside.
    This is 8 pieces assembled for the GG haters

AVF Regular
    Another reason to stick with my ego twists!

Impressive regime cop, but I've got enough things to clean and maintain in the endless cycle of cleaning and maintaining that is life, without adding more.
    Waratah67 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Great post mate. I had been using Metal Magic from woolworths/coles for a while. It works nicely but i heard Autosol was better and picked some up last week at bunnings. Works a treat. Had not tried the jewelry cleaner method before though. You are right the wife does have some under the sink (It concerns me you know this).

Got a sonic cleaner last week as well. Yet to try it out. May do up some before and after photos as well for this.
    <---cop likes this.
    Last cigarette: March 14th, 2010 - Started Vaping Feb, 2010.

"Praise the God of all. Drink the wine. And let the world be the world"

Quote Originally Posted by <---cop View Post
    No reason that the insides shouldn't be as spotless as the outside.
    This is 8 pieces assembled for the GG haters

Your wedding ring looks as tho' it could do with a bit of TLC too.....
    avtek and Browny like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast