How close is too close (to the terminal/connection points)?

I have a steam turbine clone which can run dual SS wicks or I suppose a single U-wick with a good 7-8 wrap coil. Thus far i keep getting a burnt taste. Is it because, as a friend suggested, that the coil was sitting too high, and there was too much 'leading wire' between the positive terminal and the actual coil? It wasn't intentional it just ended up that way when it moved as I tightened the screw. So the question is, how close should the coil be? And secondly, regarding the negative terminal, also how close should it/can it be? I'm sure some weird electrical shit would happen in the coil was actually touching the base, am I right?

All advice appreciated, I've wasted close to a metre of kanthal wire just making crappy coils

Really need some more info to try to assist, what wick type, wire size? Mod you are using, Mechanical or VV etc.

Sounds like a short or hot wire..
    We need pics to help you out mate
    I VAPE = I LIVE

Started Vaping at 16:00 hrs on 11th April 2013...
    Saved poop loads of $ not buying stinkies since then.
    Spending poop loads of $ on shinies and juice etc since then
    But now I am happy...

AVF Regular
    Generally the closer the better to the post and terminals so as little as possible is hanging in the air plus the usual oxidising of wick and poking of the coil.

AVF Regular
    A little tip - when you capture your wire under the terminal screws, run your wire around the screw in the same direction as the screw turns when it tightens. That way, when you tighten the screw it will pull your wire towards the post (and keep it tight) rather than push the wire away from the post. This makes it easier to keep the tension there, and makes it easier to keep the lead wires (or "legs" of the coil) nice and short. The coil legs shouldn't glow red when you dry fire the coil either.

Getting the coil as close to the posts as possible is good, as long as they're not touching.

As it sounds like you're running an SS wick - make sure you've worked all the hot spots out. Sometimes a hot spot can be a little hard to see - some can be pretty faint. Keep pulsing it (and adjusting the coil if needed) until it all glows red evenly - one wrap glowing brighter than the rest is a dead give away.

Also, when winding your coil on the wick, ensure you have good coil to wick contact. You should not be able to see an air gap between the wick and coil (though it should not be so tight as to cut off juice wicking - your coil should be touching, but not deforming the wick).
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.

Thanks for the tips everyone. FYI: 32g kanthal on vamo v5

I've got to work on the coil 'legs', the direction of attaching to terminal is a great tip because mine always move the wrong way when the screw is tightened.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Nardonic View Post
    I have a steam turbine clone which can run dual SS wicks or I suppose a single U-wick with a good 7-8 wrap coil. Thus far i keep getting a burnt taste. Is it because, as a friend suggested, that the coil was sitting too high, and there was too much 'leading wire' between the positive terminal and the actual coil? It wasn't intentional it just ended up that way when it moved as I tightened the screw. So the question is, how close should the coil be? And secondly, regarding the negative terminal, also how close should it/can it be? I'm sure some weird electrical shit would happen in the coil was actually touching the base, am I right?

All advice appreciated, I've wasted close to a metre of kanthal wire just making crappy coils
    Long legs on the coil can heat up and give you a nasty burning/metalic taste if they are heating up. Dry fire the coil in a dark room to see if the legs are glowing. One quick fix if you are having trouble that you can't fix is to double up the wire on the leg. Instead of trimming the wire at the post, wrap it around and back over the leg, finishing with a tight loop around the leg close to the coil. This doubles the wire on the leg and reduces the resistance, therefore reducing the heat in the leg and putting it back in the coil where it belongs. To make the end of the wire softer and easier to wrap, fire it till it glows with a butane torch.

It's usually only necessary to do this on the top leg - the negative leg should be kept short as possible though there's usually not so much you can do about that one.

If doing the post screw up pushes the top leg out, then it's probably also making the coil too loose on the wick. Losing contact like this on the wick will cause you heaps of problems until you can tighten it up again, try wrapping the wire on the post screw in a clockwise direction as suggested, however be aware that this will tend to pull the wick towards the post (the opposite problem of making it looser).
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.