Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Cotton boiling

Cotton boiling

Hi guys,

Another noob questions, which cotton could I get from pharmacy that doesn't have nasty chemicals in it?
    Can I just pour boiling water onto it in a bowl let it sit 30mins, do it for another 2 times and dry it?
    Read about people microwaving cotton after boiling, but all of them just heard from someone, not experience it first hand, is it totally safe? If you've done it, how long should I do it?

All my cotton is prepared by Gresh11 and I stole some off him, going to prepare more for me and my friend (another convert) and want to explore rebuildable world.

Thanks.
    maggie likes this.

AVF Regular
    ask for unbleached or, and I hate this term 'Organic' cotton. It will be the one with the slightly higher price, and all the marketing go words saying how untouched it is. I use cotton wool balls my wife has.

buy one bag of the stuff, and it should last you years

I boiled mine for 5 minutes in a pan, and then fast dried it in the microwave, checking every 20 seconds or so.
    maggie likes this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

D'you boil all of it at once and then just store it a ziplock/plastic bag, if it's organic why the need to boil it? ... I watched a review not long ago wher a guy just plucked some fibres from a cotton bud and made a wick that appeared to work okay ( so he implied )

AVF Regular
    nah maggie, I tore off a handfull....

I've seen youtube clips of people using the cotton from a cotton bud as well.... It will work, no matter what you get.

I think it probably just depends on how picky you are as to what you get. Personally, unbleached cotton wool is close enough for me.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    using the hemp from a co op off here as it came same goes with cotton buds just get the unbleached kind or medical grade cotton works too been using cotton from a medical combine for ages lol havnt boiled any of it
    DanGibson likes this.

aussie squonk box - the punisher - sig 100 watt - tesla series modded - vampire 26650 - modded chana - kamry 200 watt
    my etsy DEATHware

Super Moderator
    Depends Maggie... unprocessed cotton isnt the nice pure clean white white we are used to ... any clean white cotton balls or buds have most likely been oxidised or bleached in manufacture ... as such there might be minute quantities of processing chemicals , Sodium Hypochlorite ( bleach) ,Sodium hydroxide ( caustic soda ) bisulphites , mercerising agents etc ... now while they are all pretty sanitary and ok for wounds or skin care , they could impart a "flavour " so boiling will clean up most of that and also take out bacteria etc .

FM has unbleached Hempage for his wickage
    DEATHGUYJ and maggie like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    I saw the Hemp co-op, was a bit late to get on board though.

Where do you get your hemp FM? Assuming it's not off some guy at the pub Been wondering what it's like as wicking, can't seem to find anywhere to get it.

I'm not fat, I just ate somebody who was.

Super Moderator
    Dare I say .... the co-op lol ( Studiovapes one ... got 25 gr it was plenty )

Wicks great , but I am not a sub-ohm cutting edge coil winder , but it does me ok
    BlackDog likes this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
    I saw the Hemp co-op, was a bit late to get on board though.

Where do you get your hemp FM? Assuming it's not off some guy at the pub Been wondering what it's like as wicking, can't seem to find anywhere to get it.
    PM me your address and I'll send you some ...
    Fatman, dhans, BlackDog and 1 others like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Think a few people use simply gentle brand which is organic I don't think it's unableached but I think it's a different kind of bleaching, I went down o the local health food organics shop and they ordered it in. Before that I just boiled normal cotton balls 3 times getting rid of the water after each 5 or so minutes of boiling then air dried. I'm not dead yet lol
    BlackDog and Altered1 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast