Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: this is my first coil - advice please

AVF Regular

this is my first coil - advice please

i did my first rda coil build today - advice needed please
    i used 28 guage kanthal - i did 7 wraps and got 1.2 ohm
    im using an omega clone rda so i was wanting to go semi - upright with the coil
    i heated the kanthal with a lighter before winding it - i have a butane torch but i havent busted it out of the packaging yet
    i started pulsing the coil on low voltage and it was producing vapor but then when i raised the voltage the ohms dropped to .8 ohms and the vtr wont fire it now
    gotta say i wasnt really planning on .8ohm for my first coil! - so im gonna rip it out and start again -
    any advice for my second attempt?
    i'd like to be around 1.3 to 1.5 ohm to start with - i think

Banned (Never to return)
    try and keep the coils uniform and away from the posts

how did you wrap that coil ? did you wrap it around something ? do you have a multimeter ?

it looks like a couple of coils are touching , which will reduce your resistance

you dont want the coils to touch the post either
    Last edited by mitergreen; 28-12-13 at 02:58 PM.
    avtek and steve.c like this.

AVF Regular
    i wrapped it by hand around 2mm silica wick that was tripled over at the top - with a single tail that is in the juice well

i know the coil looks like its touching the centre post in the pic but its about the same distance as from the front post in the pic - should it be further still?

i have 2 multimeters - have not used them for many years...

Banned (Never to return)
    ok now its in the atty , use a jewlers screw driver or similar and bump the coils around till they are equally distant apart

with coils think of them as a single device , that works perfectly when it is equally spaced , like a coke can , it works well wel its straight , not so well when it has 4o different dents all over it

looks pretty good for a first attempt if you ask me
    steve.c likes this.

Banned (Never to return)
    use your multi meter alot mate , take a reading of the length of wire your gonna use before you snip it off , this will reduce the "made that for no reason" dramatically
    steve.c likes this.

My first couple of builds didn't seem to vape right, resistances were good, never realized the air hole on the cap has to line up with the coil, they work well now

Banned (Never to return)

areas needing improvement
    avtek and steve.c like this.

AVF Regular
    Bit of a noob coil builder myself, but I been having a lot of success with micro coils on the kayfun and in a cheapo smoktech octopus dripper (both have air holes centered from the bottom). I had the Omega RDA for a few weeks and attempted several coils, single and dual, but never had good success due to the positioning of the air holes.
    avtek likes this.

$3642 Spent on Vaping

Banned (Never to return)
    microcoil and cotton IMO is much much better than silica and conventional coil in drippers and Kayfun/taifun type atomisers
    Olfella and steve.c like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mitergreen View Post
    use your multi meter alot mate , take a reading of the length of wire your gonna use before you snip it off , this will reduce the "made that for no reason" dramatically
    thanks mitergreen!!! - ill get those multimeters dusted off tonight after dinner

in the meantime i got in there and frigged around with a jeweller's screwdriver and tried to even up the coils - got it to .9ohms and had a vape hahahaha - then i thought i'd frig around a bit more and ended up with .7ohms - vtr still fires it tho

anyway ill try and wind a lot more evenly next time - also find the butane torch now and have a fiddle with that

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast