Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: When to replace a coil?

When to replace a coil?

Hello there chaps

Just rewicked my coil on the KFL+ and noticed a bunch of gunk built up on the coil, after dry burn had to wipe it clean to get all the build up off it looked ok and glowed nicely but it didn't go back to the nice shiney state it did the last time I dry burnt it (coils been in there for 9-10 days, it's second rewick/dry burn).

Wondering how often you replace the coils in your rebuildables?

Is there a point you look at a coil and say that it's had it and replace or just keep using until they burn out?

For reference it's a 1.4 ohm micro coil (think it was 8 or 9 wraps of 28 guage kanthal around a 2mm drill bit) with cotton running anywhere from 3.6 - 3.9 volts or 8 - 10 watts depending on the device I throw it on

Cheers

AVF Regular
    It depends - I usually re do my coils every couple of weeks as a matter of habit. I generally notice a performance drop in the coils on a freshly charged battery, hard to describe but it's like it is taking the coils longer than normal to warm up and the vapor production drops a little towards the end of the coils life. When I first got introduced to rebuildables the guy who showed me reckoned about 4 - 5 dry burns and then it's time to roll another one.

IMHO - kanthal, mesh and wick are cheap! why settle for a second rate vape if you don't have to, then again I know people who wash out cartos and try and get four weeks out of them, which makes no sense to me.

Good luck with your coils!
    Apoc likes this.

AVF Regular
    I redo my coil in the following 10 scenarios:
    1. Resistance jump up and down too regularly or there is a short
    2. Killed/messed up when I replacing the wick
    3. When I change different size of wick / from silica to cotton or vice versa
    4. Not performing to my expectation with a new wick and fully charged battery
    5. When I fancy a new set up
    6. When I hate the look of it
    7. When I have extra money to spend on new kanthal wires
    8. When I really have nothing to do
    9. After watched a youtube on new builds
    10. When I just being paranoid in chasing a perfection

p.s. Besides safety and performance reasons, replacing the coil is solely subjective
    T7x, steve.c and Apoc like this.
    Quit on 10.06.2013
    Ave Smoked: 15-20/Day for 22 years
    Spent on Smoke: $600/month when 1 pack = $18

I only change my coils if I have screwed one up removing or replacing a wick...Have not noticed any performance drop after dry burning and a good blow off
    I do dry burn quite a bit,not just a quicky..
    Apoc likes this.
    I VAPE = I LIVE

Started Vaping at 16:00 hrs on 11th April 2013...
    Saved poop loads of $ not buying stinkies since then.
    Spending poop loads of $ on shinies and juice etc since then
    But now I am happy...

Thanks all, there's heaps out there about changing wicks but couldn't find anything on the coil itself.

AVF Regular
    If you are interested, I will try to film my dry burning via my old samsung s2 after 2 days (changing the wick) and show you how sparkling that is. It should be very quick video. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
    Thanks all, there's heaps out there about changing wicks but couldn't find anything on the coil itself.
    Quit on 10.06.2013
    Ave Smoked: 15-20/Day for 22 years
    Spent on Smoke: $600/month when 1 pack = $18

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
    Hello there chaps

Just rewicked my coil on the KFL+ and noticed a bunch of gunk built up on the coil, after dry burn had to wipe it clean to get all the build up off it looked ok and glowed nicely but it didn't go back to the nice shiney state it did the last time I dry burnt it (coils been in there for 9-10 days, it's second rewick/dry burn).

Wondering how often you replace the coils in your rebuildables?

Is there a point you look at a coil and say that it's had it and replace or just keep using until they burn out?

For reference it's a 1.4 ohm micro coil (think it was 8 or 9 wraps of 28 guage kanthal around a 2mm drill bit) with cotton running anywhere from 3.6 - 3.9 volts or 8 - 10 watts depending on the device I throw it on

Cheers
    I'm using 30AWG Nichrome wrapped 10x around a 2 drill bit in a ProTank coil holder. I dry burn the coil every night and swap in a new wick at the same time. After 7 to 10 days, I replace the coil as I do notice a slight degradation in performance.

Just a note: in almost 2 years of vaping I have only ever burnt out 1 coil in use (it was in it's second hour of use). Every other coil blown was due to user error eg I fed a dry, 34AWG wire 10W while dry burning, *poof*
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    I'm pretty much in exactly the same boat as you apoc, 1.4-1.6ohm/30g coils on a Kayfun with cotton. Been on this set up for maybe 3 weeks now. After about 2 weeks of changing the cotton wick every 2-3 days and dry burning the coil each time, my coil ended up quite degraded. I dry burned hard and cleaned it quite well but it just didnt look right. I wicked it and it wasnt right, it had a slightly ashy taste. About a week into the second coil, rewicked a few times and about to do the 3rd even though its tasting great.

$3642 Spent on Vaping

AVF Regular
    Bah just rewicked and getting the ashy taste. I think i need to work on my dry burning.

$3642 Spent on Vaping

Super Moderator
    One thing that I noticed was even after boiling after a dry burn, there is still some deposit/ash on the inside of the coil that I can't seem to remove. This may affect your ashy taste / degradation of the coil over time.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast