Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ssstahly
  • 2 Post By frodo

Thread: first coil build bad taste

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

first coil build bad taste

Hi Vapers,
    I just did my first coil and it has a bad taste. I was wondering if this could be normal and it just needs to burn in or the like ?
    Its in one of the fast tech taifun clones that have the coated brass decks.
    It has ss wick , 30 gauge kanthal wire(6 turns) and 3mm silica on top.
    Not sure of its resistance as my meter was a bit all over the place, it read 1.4(ish) but read higher than that with the probes touched.
    wouldnt fire in my itaste 134 but works on a karmy k101.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

AVF Regular
    Sounds like there is still some machine oils still in the atty or there is a hotspot.
    Clean the atty in hot soapy water a few times and rinse very well, I use some vodka afterwards to soak for a while.
    There could also be a hotspot or short causing the bad taste. Make sure there are not hotspots by firing the coil without any liquid. It should glow evenly from the inside out. Prod the coils at the point of hotspot to remove them.
    I would get to know your ohms 100%.
    Touch the probes together for about 10 seconds (till they steady) and then subtract that reading from what your atty is.
    With ss mesh, you should get a nice crisp taste.
    avtek likes this.
    supporter of genuine mods and attys

cheers ........ i fired it before filling it, the glow was closest to each post first then even glow after a second ........... i will dive it all a was in the morning and see how that goes

The only other thing I could think of was i wrapped and fired the mesh around a paper clip which would probably have a zinc coating ........... oil residue sounds more plausible to me though ......... thanks again

Ok cleanup seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks for the tip.
    For the other noobs out there cruising for info I pulled everything apart, ditched the previous coil and wick, shoved them all in a clean ceramic coffee cup(one that I didn't mind breaking) filled with 50 degree water and one drop of dish washing liquid and shook for 30 secs then rinsed with cold water multiple times then repeated 5 times. To Finnish I sat in boiled water for 5 mins.

First impressions of rba coming from clearos..... This coil I put an extra turn on and it's no hitting as hard as last nights one and vapour is about the same as a new iclear with the taste being a bit better. Wether it's worth the effort will be in how long it lasts like this and if I can make coils that hit harder with lower ohms. To the other noobs this isn't exactly hard to do and took about half an hour for the coil and wick each time ( although I do a bit of wiring with my job)

Sorry to ramble on above post but I know what it's like to read things here when people donut explain what they did. There would be a lot of people looking for info here that never post.
    AstroBoy and maggie like this.

AVF Regular
    Late reply but glad you got the taste out of it.
    It's all each to there own when it comes to vaping but now that I have a few setups I love, I can't see myself going back to premade coils. Mucking around with different ohms and setups you will soon find out weather it's worth it to you.
    supporter of genuine mods and attys

AVF Regular
    Just a little tip : Instead of using a ceramic coffee mug (which may break) - try using a small plastic container. Not a take-out container, but a dishwasher safe reusable food storage container. They're great for soaking things in, and also not as messy if you want to shake them because they have a lid.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.