Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Vaping and electrical safety ...... 240V adapters.

Super Moderator

Vaping and electrical safety ...... 240V adapters.

G'day AVF'ers .... Just read an interesting post courtesy of Timmah and the VeryGoodVapes crew which raises a question we all should be a little concerned about , but pay very little attention to .
    Here is the post in case you missed it

Quote Originally Posted by timmah View Post
    Okay - I don't want to come across as a bump hound, but I have to let you guys know I am removing the AC adapter from the starter kit.

The reason for this is that it is not verified as being safe for Australia. Once we get the tick of approval I will re-add it, but it only currently has CE and RoHS certification which would be cool in Europe, but not here. Sorry for this, but the penalties for selling unsafe (read uncertified) electrical products in Australia are just too serious to ignore.

We have sent an email to customers who have received an adapter asking them to return or dispose of it. We will send out replacements certified for Australia.

Subsequently, we're dropping the price to $67.95.

Thanks, and be safe!
    Now I know some vendors ( Vaping Cobra comes directly to mind, as does SS600 ) who DO supply Australian approved 240V/USB adapters or 240V chargers with their kits , Its something we should be aware of , and encourage ALL vendors to do .
    It might seem a bit silly , cos there are perfectly good adapters in every starter kit etc however , there can be issues in supplying uncertified ones .
    http://www.energyrating.gov.au/wp-co...dditions-2.pdf <--- outlining the requirements .

Now this might sound a bit silly , because we ALL use unapproved adapters, probably every day , with stuff we import from overseas, but it might also be worth considering , if a non-certified adapter burns your house down , its just the legal loophole some insurance mobs , rub their hands in glee for ... perfect excuse not to pay out .

I do think it kinda important tho , if the vendor YOU are using doesnt supply gear that meets the safety standards , perhaps a gentle prodding might be required ?

As a vendor , you should also be aware of the implications for your business if you DO sell non certified electrical gear , especially if it has been brought to your attention ( like now) and you choose to ignore it .

Kudos to those sellers who do the right thing !!!
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

My trustfire charger STILL hasn't killed any batts yet, and it's been going strong for 6 months or so now, but I'm legitimately just waiting for it to happen >_<

And don't charge your batteries overnight/without supervision regardless. And don't leave any batteries on soft furnishings to charge ever. My electrician neighbour's advice to me when one of my chargers melted and my safety switch didn't go off.

Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    And don't charge your batteries overnight/without supervision regardless. And don't leave any batteries on soft furnishings to charge ever. My electrician neighbour's advice to me when one of my chargers melted and my safety switch didn't go off.
    Did the charger give out or did a battery rupture and just destroy everything around it?????

Quote Originally Posted by DanGibson View Post
    Did the charger give out or did a battery rupture and just destroy everything around it?????
    Na, no rupture and destroy but the usb to ego thread rectangle bit melted around the light area. Possibly caused by the battery or the power supply part, I don't know for sure which one. I threw them both away just in case.
    GirlyPantz likes this.

DAD
    AVF Regular
    The reason for this is that it is not verified as being safe for Australia. Once we get the tick of approval I will re-add it, but it only currently has CE and RoHS certification which would be cool in Europe, but not here. Sorry for this, but the penalties for selling unsafe (read uncertified) electrical products in Australia are just too serious to ignore.
    for the leyman, what is the difference ? what should we see ?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DAD View Post
    for the leyman, what is the difference ? what should we see ?
    it used to be a C Tick. Not sure if this has changed

timmah and Donna like this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

Quote Originally Posted by Altered1 View Post
    it used to be a C Tick. Not sure if this has changed

It's called the RCM now...

Compliance marks | ACMA
    Donna likes this.

DAD
    AVF Regular
    Then not are they not on the ac charger they are also not on the connecting usb adapter / direct link to the battery ? so are these also defunct and if so meeting manufactures warranty to charge with supplied adapter ? all at sea

AVF Regular
    Dad,

I dont think a C tick is required for low voltage stuff like USB cables. I dont think I have ever seen one anywhere, even on brand name cables.

Mains voltage stuff for certain
    sushiaddiction and DAD like this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast