Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 2 Reo Grand Buttons Melted in 2 days

AVF Regular

2 Reo Grand Buttons Melted in 2 days

As I have received my low profile grand and mini 2.1 3 days ago and had received my cyclone the day after that. I was very happy with the look and performance yesterday until I suddenly realised it didn't fire after 1 hour use. This morning I removed the cap and took a look inside and found that firing button had melted but the spring was ok. I then used the repair kit to rebuild the firing button and spring just now and the button had melted again after 10-15 minutes. Strange enough the same cyclone I tested on mini 2.1 were working fine whole day today and no meltdown or whatsoever. But this cyclone had melted 2 buttons on my grand in 2 days for the total usage of perhaps 75-80 minutes.

What can be the problem if anyone know?

The coil was at 1 - 1.1 ohm and the fresh batteries just bought from Supersports 2 days ago (IMR Panasonic 18650 PF at 10A High Drain 2900 mAh).

I've contacted Rob via email but he is asleep and until he wakes up in the morning I thought I could use your experiences and expertise to do some diagnosis before send it back for repair. Unfortunately I don't have metre but I have not just tested the Cyclone on Mini, I have also firing the coil on VTR and SVD. No problem at all. I looked at the coil from the eye level the coil is at least 3mm from the deck and 1.5mm from the post. The wire has gone through torch before building into coil so I really can't think of anything that I had done wrong.
    Quit on 10.06.2013
    Ave Smoked: 15-20/Day for 22 years
    Spent on Smoke: $600/month when 1 pack = $18

Super Moderator
    Sounds like arcing at the switch between it and the nipple top ... check to see if when you are pressing it ( with the door open ) if the switch is not centering on the top of the battery or the battery is slipping a bit sideways under pressure ... it can act like a little arc welder ( lots of heat and melty buttons )
    steve.c likes this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    The battery is tight fit to the compartment as I tape on the battery for the easy pulling. Don't think any room it can move though. What I have noticed is on the battery nipple top there are burned marks (small spots). Couldn't even get these marks off by rubbing it with my nails.

I have tested with the door open (and unscrew the top cover - the one with a single long screw). Saw the continuous spork between battery's nipple top and Reo's metal plate (the one touches the battery positive when firing button is pressed). It looks like short but I cannot find out where.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Sounds like arcing at the switch between it and the nipple top ... check to see if when you are pressing it ( with the door open ) if the switch is not centering on the top of the battery or the battery is slipping a bit sideways under pressure ... it can act like a little arc welder ( lots of heat and melty buttons )
    Quit on 10.06.2013

Super Moderator
    It wont be a short , but a spark jump of the current trying to power the resistance of the coil .... you might need to file the point a little to give it more of a conductive area to contact with .... before doing that I suggest however that you mail Rob and see what he thinks ?
    Robray likes this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

AVF Regular
    You mean the conductive plate? The one touching the battery nipple top when firing button pressed down?
    Quit on 10.06.2013

Super Moderator
    yep ... most if not all reos I have encountered end in a fine point to "bite " the battery ... I suspect with the lower ohms of your coil and the higher discharge capability of the battery it is too much current thru a fine point of contact and is trying to jump around it ( the sparking and heat )

AVF Regular
    The battery nipple does look like spark burn marks. I have just unscrewed and looked at that conductive plate. The new one I have in the repair kit is a triangular shape with just a thin tip point to get contact with the battery. The one on Reo now still in triangular shape but the tip looks a bit flat.....
    Quit on 10.06.2013

AVF Regular
    I think you are right. I have just tested it with my 2.2 Boge cartotank. Very little to almost no sparks when I pressed the firing button.
    In your opinion what should I do? I think that conductive plate is becoming useless...
    Quit on 10.06.2013

Super Moderator
    OK first I would give the triangle on it a bit of a clean up ... the arcing would have put carbon on it , just give it a light file ... if you have conductive grease , a slight bit of it on the triangle might help ... you are trying to create the easiest path for the current to run so it doesn't have to arc

This is probably why Rob is working on the sub-ohm retrofit kit for them

AVF Regular
    But why... It is not happen to my Mini? Same low ohm with AW/eFest 18500. No sparks and no button melting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    yep ... most if not all reos I have encountered end in a fine point to "bite " the battery ... I suspect with the lower ohms of your coil and the higher discharge capability of the battery it is too much current thru a fine point of contact and is trying to jump around it ( the sparking and heat )
    Quit on 10.06.2013

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast