Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Cartos - When do you change them?

Retired Account

Cartos - When do you change them?

I'm having the worst trouble deciding when to swap my cartos.
    I am trying to get as long as I can out of them, but I think I might take them well past their "use by" date.
    I use each one for at least a month, if not more. I've never had one just stop working.. I always end up with quality issues which make me put in a new one.
    By that stage, I tend to dump the contents of the tank as well, give everything a good clean, and start with fresh everything.
    (I do clean the business end at least twice a week though!)

For the carto users, can you describe in detail how you know when it's time to say goodbye to your current carto?

I have 3 signs to offer, but I'm never 100% sure if it's my error in not doing something to change the set up rather than just the carto being old and tired and ready for the bin!
    1. They spit in my mouth
    2. The flavour becomes very very muted
    3.They get to have such a tight draw that it's like trying to suck an egg through a McDonald's straw.
    buttonbrite likes this.

AVF Regular
    Mrs G I use mine for 5-7 days at most, when the draw starts to tighten up that's when the flavor starts being muted or starts to taste burnt for me. I do use my Cartos up around 9-10 watts so that may quicken their demise. If I get one week I'm happy as they aren't overly costly.

Every now and then I get one that wants to be problematic in the first couple of days and I just turf it and start again. The problematic one's in my experience have to do with the type of tank, in my experience the AGR seems to have issues with pressure which either floods the carto and it will gurgle or it starts leaking from the base. That's why I stick to a SnP and Kir Fanis carto tanks and never have major issues with either.

I'm impressed you get a month from a carto, I like trouble free vaping so generally I don't push the envelope as much.
    mrsgruffy likes this.

AVF Regular
    A month? Wow.

I use mine primarily for Boba's which is 100% VG. I would be lucky to get 4 or 5 days out of them. I don't let them get to the stage of spitting or tight draw. Once I notice the flavour start to change then it's out with the old and in with the new. They really are cheap enough to be a consumable.

Thinner juices I can get a bit longer, but I'm also not ADV'ing any other juices at the moment. Guesstimate on Pluid - I would surely get over a week I would think.

ETA: I use them in both Boge F16 and Liquinator glass tanks. No issues with either. Jo has one in a Siam Mods glass tank as well that seems to be going well. I don't believe that the tanks have much impact, it's all about the priming - get that right and Robert is your Auntie's husband.
    Last edited by 308hjute; 17-01-14 at 09:18 AM.
    mrsgruffy, pcan68, Olfella and 1 others like this.
    Pipes, tubes, boxes, atomisers.

ECHO ALPHA DELTA CHARLIE

I alternate my vaping 'tween different clearos and tanks and regularly change them out ev'ry 14 days unless the flavour's bad before then... so I guess I'm getting about a full week vaping from each of them.
    mrsgruffy likes this.

Retired Account
    I agree, priming is essential to get right. If you get a bad taste first puff, you may as well start again with everything new again. I inject the wadding/filler stuff with juice and suck on them without power until I get those lovely little bubbles appearing at the top of the tank, and then start them off as low as I can go, slowly bringing them up to speed. I don't know what it is in watts, but I vape on 3.7v to 4.2v exclusively... depending on the carto's resistance - not that I know what that actually means, but it sounds good, and intuitively, I somehow seem to get it right. I have 2 carto tanks going all the time, so I guess in reality, it's more like 2 weeks worth of use but over a month's time frame. I find it very hard to throw things out. I have to get over that, but it feels very wasteful, even though I know compared to smoking, butting out $40 worth of smokes per day was a shiteload more expensive and wasteful than a carto once a week!! I will come around to my way of thinking!
    maggie likes this.

AVF Regular
    Mrs G I find the condom method so easy to fill and prime the carto, and I dont have to start on low watts either, have you tried this method?

Retired Account
    I think I have... using those silicone end things and letting it soak in? I found it kinda messy. Perhaps I'll try it again now.. it was at the very beginning of cartos that I tried it.
    pcan68 likes this.

1 week or if I start getting a burnt taste. Usually at least 6-9 days. I vape my carto's at 8-9w
    I don't have any fancy carto tanks, just a couple pyrex DCT's and F16's and they work fine for me.

Probably my most disappointing vape hardware purchase was the AGR+, to date I've only had it running well once (with a slotted carto).

I use the flanged carto's so what I do to prime is block the bottom (with my palm or with blutack) and a few short strong sucks until I get some nice bubbles happening. I also re-prime if I haven't used the tank for a day or 2, especially in this heat I find the filler material dries out if its just sitting around.
    mrsgruffy likes this.

fad
    AVF Regular
    510-LuerLock adaptors might be a good alternative to the hyperventilating priming method.

I've just got a few in. I'll let you know how they go.
    mrsgruffy and maggie like this.

If you're going to prime your carto using the condom method, make sure you let your ejuice sit for a little before performing the priming.

If you shake your bottle before hand (as many people do) and fill the condom immediately after, the little bubbles in the ejuice get stuck in the carto filler material, and that can give a really crappy carto experience.

Always prime your carto with bubble-less ejuice.
    mrsgruffy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast