Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: My first Kayfun - recommendations on wire gauge and resistance?

My first Kayfun - recommendations on wire gauge and resistance?

Since I'm waiting for the Kayfun lite+ I got in the coop, I've started to look into supplies to have ready for when it arrives. It's been about 2 months of cig free vaping for me, and I'm keen to start the next leg of my journey by using a rebuildable, but I have a few questions about wire thickness and coil resistance.

What would be the best gauge kanthal to get 2-2.5 ohms (maybe even 3)? I have my eyes on 32 gauge at the moment, but I'm not sure. I've read some people say that a 30 gauge coil might be more robust and last longer.

I reckon I'll be making a micro coil, wrapping the wire around a 2mm diameter, using cotton as a wick. I'm not sure how many wraps I'll have to use to get my desired resistance, maybe 10-ish? but I guess that depends on the gauge that I end up using.

Cheers

AVF Regular
    smoker - im using 28guage kanthal 11 wraps for 1.1ohm - i wrap around the little blue screwdriver that often comes with chinese attys -

out of interest why do you want "2-2.5 ohms (maybe even 3)" ohms?

AVF Regular
    I too prefer 28 gauge, its thicker so allows more wrap in micro coil in comparison with 30 or 32 gauge wire.

3 ohm is high, mine usually around 1.3 1.4 ohm.
    smoker likes this.

I'm not sure why I really want around 2.5 ohms. I think it's because I currently use 3ohm cartos.

Would a 2-ish ohm coil be no good?

I'll be using a provari 2.5, so I don't want the ohms too low, I guess.

I've got 28 and 32, seem to have settled on the 28 wrapped 7 or 8 around 2 mm drill bit and comes out 1.4 - 1.6 ohms which seems like a pretty good spot for me. I used to wrap it a bit higher but the lag time on heating up the coil was bugging me so dropped it down to where I am now
    smoker likes this.

I use around 8 wraps on a 1/16 drill bit with 30 guage and get around 1.6ohms, running on a provari with cotton. I get awesome results!

2.5-3 ohms seems a bit too high
    smoker likes this.

Just curious, why would 2.5-ish ohms be too high? Juat a crappy vape or?

I am by no means an expert, have only been using kayfun stlye atomizers for a few months now. But I am guessing, depending on what guage kanthal you used, you would have to have a hell of alot of wraps to get the resistance that high. And with a micro-coil with that high of a resistance ( if you could even fit it on the deck ) it would be very slow to heat up?

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong
    smoker likes this.

I think your going to struggle to make a microcoil with 32 guage. Order some 28guage and some 30 guage and have a play around and see what you like.
    coopz and smoker like this.

Thinner wire is harder to make microcoils on from this noobs experience. Harder to get them to keep their shape while being compressed, and the often will pop or burn out under dry heat.
    The consensus here by most people that replied about kayfun resistance was 1.1ohm to 1.5 ohm.
    Easy enough to do 1.5ohm (so your provari works fine) with 28g, but also some ebay sellers sell 28/29g (an in between size, slightly thinner than 28g - so higher resistance) but not as thin as 30g - again the thinness of 30g means "Harder to get them to keep their shape while being compressed, and the often will pop or burn out under dry heat."
    e: 28/29g is also known as 0.3mm
    smoker likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast