Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Dud coils - a common thing?

Dud coils - a common thing?

Howdy,
    I've just replaced a coil for the third time in a Kanger ProTank II. The first swaps were done with the spares supplied with the clearomiser (1 x 1.8ohm & 1 x 2.2ohm), and I had no issues.
    Now I've cracked open two coils from the box (pack of 5), brand new 2.2ohm coils, and both of them produced a very tight draw and minimal vapour, no good at all, so I'm wondering if I have a 'dud batch' of coils...
    I let them soak a while, and have tried different voltages, but just really tight, and no fun.
    I'm now on a new 1.8ohm coil, and it works fine (a fresh coil is a wonderful thing). So I just wanted to pose the questions: is there a high rate of defective units in the coil game? Or have I just found a rare box of duds?
    Cheers,
    TiD
    Last edited by TobaccoIsDead; 14-02-14 at 01:45 AM.
    TiD - TobaccoIsDead
    Smoked analogue cigarettes for 23 years; I want my money back...
    On the 14th of October, 2013, I murdered tobacco. Vaping ever since.
    Blue Tongue Genesis Hybrid SS/Smok XPRO M80/Smok E-Pipe/Innokin itaste VTR/Sigelei Zmax V5.

AVF Regular
    From what I know is that China manufacturing do not use 6 sigma measurement. In short, to achieve 6 sigma the production quality control is 1 or less than 1 defective per million. The concept they operates there is exchange for the defects rather than the quality control due to labour costs are below the value of investment on quality measurements.

It may change soon if the labour costs actually grow much more, then they will want to invest for a better production line.

To your question in short. Yes, if a batch is a million coil heads, 3 percent of defect rate will result in 30,000 defective coil heads. 3 - 5% defective is still common in China especially in small manufacturing.
    GirlyPantz and TobaccoIsDead like this.
    Quit on 10.06.2013
    Ave Smoked: 15-20/Day for 22 years
    Spent on Smoke: $600/month when 1 pack = $18

Cheers porkchop,
    That sounds like a reasonable explanation. I'll obviously try the remaining 3 coils in that 2.2ohm 5-pack - hopefully only 2 of the 5 are defects...
    TiD
    Gresh11 likes this.
    TiD - TobaccoIsDead
    Blue Tongue Genesis Hybrid SS/Smok XPRO M80/Smok E-Pipe/Innokin itaste VTR/Sigelei Zmax V5.

AVF Regular
    Yoi would find it will be cheaper and better quality if you build your own coil.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    Quit on 10.06.2013
    Ave Smoked: 15-20/Day for 22 years
    Spent on Smoke: $600/month when 1 pack = $18

You can do that for off-the-shelf tanks? Very interesting...
    TiD - TobaccoIsDead

AVF Regular
    how to

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

Thanks Altered1!
    TiD - TobaccoIsDead

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TobaccoIsDead View Post
    Howdy,
    I've just replaced a coil for the third time in a Kanger ProTank II. The first swaps were done with the spares supplied with the clearomiser (1 x 1.8ohm & 1 x 2.2ohm), and I had no issues.
    Now I've cracked open two coils from the box (pack of 5), brand new 2.2ohm coils, and both of them produced a very tight draw and minimal vapour, no good at all, so I'm wondering if I have a 'dud batch' of coils...
    I let them soak a while, and have tried different voltages, but just really tight, and no fun.
    I'm now on a new 1.8ohm coil, and it works fine (a fresh coil is a wonderful thing). So I just wanted to pose the questions: is there a high rate of defective units in the coil game? Or have I just found a rare box of duds?
    Cheers,
    TiD
    I had the same trouble, ended up giving up on the Protank II mini as a bad joke and went back to using Kanger MT3s and Evods the same coils worked a treat, but it took me a couple of packs of coils and lots of swearing before giving up on it lol

It was just a cheap Protank off of fasttech so I blame the cheap knock off I have bought lots of stuff off of fasttech but the Protank was the only e-cig gear I have bought off of them. You get what you pay for
    Last edited by GirlyPantz; 14-02-14 at 10:23 PM.

Cheers GirlyPantz,
    I ordered a Mini ProTank, but they were out of stock so got refunded. Sounds like no harm done. I like my ProTanks, have 2 of the full-size. My only 'mini' clearo is my new Aspire Mini Vivi Nova, and I like that too, very different and very good vapour. On your recommendation, I'm checking out the EVODS, they look like a good size for my 650mAh Twists and lots of good reviews.
    Thanks,
    TiD
    GirlyPantz likes this.
    TiD - TobaccoIsDead

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by porkchop View Post
    From what I know is that China manufacturing do not use 6 sigma measurement. In short, to achieve 6 sigma the production quality control is 1 or less than 1 defective per million. The concept they operates there is exchange for the defects rather than the quality control due to labour costs are below the value of investment on quality measurements.

It may change soon if the labour costs actually grow much more, then they will want to invest for a better production line.

To your question in short. Yes, if a batch is a million coil heads, 3 percent of defect rate will result in 30,000 defective coil heads. 3 - 5% defective is still common in China especially in small manufacturing.
    I am so glad I don't operate on 6 sigma measurement. I would be in deep shit. Just as well I don't live in China too. I would be lucky to be less than 10% defective I reckon. On a positive note my coils are splendid! 100%(eventually)
    LIVE AND LET VAPE
    POWER TO THE P.V.
    OFF THE SMOKES FOREVER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast