Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Shadzy
  • 1 Post By smoker

Thread: Dual Coils?

AVF Regular

Dual Coils?

So recent, I got gifted a Trident by a family member, and when I got it i tried to build a dual coil set up, I remenber reading somewhere that when you go dual coil, if you have 2 1.8ohm coils, they'll drop the half of the total resistance of the build when installed, firstly is this true, secondly why? and thirdly, what gauge of Kanthal will work best for a dual coil build 1.2 ohm or above, so I can use it on the Provari, I only have 28 gauge atm, Someone said to get sme 30 gauge to build on?

If you're not winning, you should be learning from loss.

Yea the resistance will halve.

I made a dual coil using 32g kanthal - I did 10 wraps on a 1.5mm screw for each of the coils. Came out at 1.2 ohms on my provari, so they were 2.4 ohms each. They heated up a bit slow, but it worked I guess.

Yeah get 30g for a provari, or just do single coil with your 28g.

AVF Regular
    At the moment i'm just using a 28 gauge 1.8 ohm microcoil with Cotton.

Must say i'm loving first proper experience with Drippers.
    smoker likes this.

If you're not winning, you should be learning from loss.

I actually thought the dual coil was nothing special. Ended up doing a single coil with 28g and I'm loving it.
    Stewey likes this.

Ditto, I prefer the single coil. In dual coil mode 2x ~2mm (one is slightly smaller), too airy. I prefer an igo with 2x 1.3-1.5mm holes.

In single coil mode there's 3 or 4 different air hole sizes to choose from and easier to dial in your favourite. I use mine in single coil mode even though I have mechs and batteries that have no problem with sub ohm dual coils. This atty is one of the best single coil ones out there IMO.
    Last edited by coopz; 04-03-14 at 08:17 PM.

AVF Regular
    When you do a dual coil, the coils are setup in parallel which halves the resistance (1.8ohm dual = 0.6ohm). If you had them in series, it would double (1.8 ohm dual = 3.6ohm).

If I'm incorrect, please feel free to say so, but I believe that's how it works.

Edit: I also prefer a single micro at 0.6ohms on my RDA. Dual coils I couldn't get the result I was looking for. At least not on my mech.
    Last edited by newvape; 04-03-14 at 10:05 PM.