Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: different coil angles

AVF Regular

different coil angles

i watched 2 different vids on building coils for kayfuns. in one, the guy positioned his coil at a 45 degree angle to the posts. in the other, the coil was put at 90 degrees to the posts. i made mine at 90*, just cos it seemed easier. i've just got the one conner83 sent me and he's put it at 45*. what difference, if any, does the angle of the coil make? i imagine with the 90* build, the resistance for the same coil would be ever so slightly higher than at 45*, as the legs are reaching a tiny bit further to the posts. anything else?
    MrGruffy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kay67kay View Post
    i watched 2 different vids on building coils for kayfuns. in one, the guy positioned his coil at a 45 degree angle to the posts. in the other, the coil was put at 90 degrees to the posts. i made mine at 90*, just cos it seemed easier. i've just got the one conner83 sent me and he's put it at 45*. what difference, if any, does the angle of the coil make? i imagine with the 90* build, the resistance for the same coil would be ever so slightly higher than at 45*, as the legs are reaching a tiny bit further to the posts. anything else?
    I have made both, and found no difference at all in the resistance, not enough to be picked up by my ohm meter anyway, or vape quality, the 90* coil wicked better, as I tucked the wick around the base of the posts, (very loosely, not packed down), maybe just a bit more surface area on the wicks, but was slightly better than the 45* build.
    kay67kay and Raziel like this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

N Sydney, Aus, Earth, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster
    I do 45. Easier for me. I may get a 0.5 ohm difference on the multimeter. Not worth worrying about.
    I make wick long. Like an M shape but not as exaggerated. Found it works better. Wick goes above on both sides of coil a little and then back down. My coils are really thin though because of 34g. (2.5mm 3ohms K-A1 5T)
    kay67kay, spud and Raziel like this.

]6⁹.12[

Super Moderator
    I was under the impression that assembling the coil at 45 and tucking the legs under the post screws in an anti-clockwise manner was to reduce the incidence of the (micro) coil tightening up and pulling it out of wack, while reducing the coil leg length.
    davee, kay67kay, spud and 1 others like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

I do mine at 45
    I VAPE = I LIVE

Started Vaping at 16:00 hrs on 11th April 2013...
    Saved poop loads of $ not buying stinkies since then.
    Spending poop loads of $ on shinies and juice etc since then
    But now I am happy...

AVF Regular
    135 works better.
    gtadmin likes this.

AVF Regular
    45 degrees here. The leads sit nicely under the screws and the coil doesn't stretch out of shape.

AVF Regular
    ha ha nakers, ya nutta!

cool. thanks all. i can see the reason for the 45* now. i'll see how i go with my next build. i'll try the 45*. at the moment, i'm using both and can't tell the difference in terms of flavour and vapour.
    Nakor likes this.

AVF Regular
    Gee, Kay

Was it only a couple of weeks ago - just before the Perth Vape meet if I recall correctly - where you were grilling peoples about what you need and how to go about this coil winding caper.

Now, look at you! Soon you'll be winding octo leg sub micro ohm watchamacallit jiggers in your sleep!
    kay67kay likes this.
    Sent by DaveJ

Sorry, I don't have a witty signature.

AVF Regular
    I've done both..Don't know if it's just me but my 90 degree coils seem to pop more than the 45 degree ones. All coils at 1.5 ohm and being fed between 3.0 and 3.5 volts. I can't pick a vape difference between the two.
    kay67kay likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast