Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: cleaning internal threads on mech mod??

AVF Regular

cleaning internal threads on mech mod??

okay so ive just had my first go at cleaning a telescoping mechanical mod - i soaked it first for a few minutes in a mix of 3ml "ph down" and 1 litre water - then i scrubbed it with autosol as per cop's thread

with a fresh battery it now shows 4.08 under a 1 ohm load so its much better than before the clean

however there must be an easier way!!!! it took me forever to clean out all the leftover autosol from the inside threading of the tubes and in the end i must admit i just gave up and said near enough is good enough

i remember as a kid soaking copper coins in coca cola overnight and they would come up looking like new - surely there is something better than coke that we could just soak mechs in overnight and then rinse and dry

any advice much appreciated...

electrical contact cleaner would leave less residue than autosol , think its about $15 bucks a can though .

AVF Regular
    of course! i have some too - will try that next time

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    If it were me??

I would just scrub the whole thing in Metho, using a bottle brush for the threads. let the thing dry. The object of the exercise is to improve the voltage drop caused by dirty threads? I don't think polish around the threads will help your case? My cheapo method would be to rub a soft pencil over the threads and wipe off the loose residue, then assemble. The alternative is to use the high dollar conductive grease available for those with deep wallets. (This is just graphite in grease) Way to expensive and messy for old grumpy here!!

The polish would then be used to buff up the assembled unit, keeping the stuff away from the switch area and threads.

Feel free to shoot me down on any of this??
    D1git, Fatman, MrGruffy and 3 others like this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

AVF Regular
    onya robray - sounds good - i think in hindsight what i did wrong was not rinse off the autosol for each piece as i went....

but using metho would be easy as and cheap too

i have some of that grease - no ox id - but didnt apply it this time - i'd put some on when i first got the mod and now 10 or so days later bits of grease had solidified and gunked up the threads - i probably used too much...

AVF Regular

cleaning internal threads on mech mod??

Quote Originally Posted by anniecruz1985 View Post
    I do not know how my husband cleans a mechanical mod, but I saw [dodgy site] cleaning services come over in our house. Maybe he just let the professionals do the works and all the stuff.
    Reported

Cockwomble
    Last edited by ssstahly; 13-10-14 at 09:46 PM.
    supporter of genuine mods and attys

Super Moderator
    Banished to the hell that is reserved for spammers and artisan juice makers LOL
    MrGruffy and ssstahly like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    If the metho is not doing the trick try Shellite or acetone. It's a matter of finding the agent which is the solvent for whatever grunge you're having problems with. Xylene is probably getting a bit nasty. First three will do most. Don't go dry burning coils until your mech is dry!
    Robray likes this.

AVF Regular
    Ultrasonic cleaner for me, then assemble with a little graphite grease & polish once assembled.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyK View Post
    Ultrasonic cleaner for me, then assemble with a little graphite grease & polish once assembled.
    agree with you....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast