Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: kayfun mini airflow screw causes short?

AVF Regular

kayfun mini airflow screw causes short?

hey folks - just nearly had an accident here - mech mod started to get real hot real fast but i was able to quickly unscrew everything in time - battery took a while to cool down though

this is what happened:

im running a 1.1 ohm coil on a kayfun mini 2.1 - on an astro clone with a sony vct4 battery - was vaping fantastic!!!

and then i thought to myself "ill see what the draw is like with the airflow control screw screwed all the way in".....

well im never doin that again - a hissing sound started as i fired the mod - at first i thought the astro switch was jammed but then thankfully i realised it wasnt the coil firing but the battery venting....

has anyone had this happen before? is it a quirk with the kayfun mini design?

also the battery has cooled down now - do i try and recharge it or throw it away? it doesnt look damaged in any way...

AVF Regular
    I'd throw that battery away if I were you.

Unaware of this, will double check with my mini when I get home.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You have a mini? Jealous! But yeah, chuck the battery away... Can't advise re the Kayfun mini design though...'cause sadly...I don't have one!! :-(

AVF Regular
    Throw the battery dude not worth the risk. I couldn't imagine it would be the kayfun could of been the battery ither ran to low or just wanted to have a short life span.
    Master Sergeant likes this.

AVF Regular
    Chuck it out, if it vented its Damaged, it may or may still work but it will be weak , why take the Chance
    <"When ever I can I will try and give back to fellow Vapers as they have given to me." Master Sergeant Nov 2013>

CMB
    AVF Regular
    Haven't had it happen to me and I vape with a reasonably tight draw.

I'll whack it on the Provari and try it out and come back to you.

CMB
    AVF Regular
    Just tried it and yes it will short, but you also don't get any air flow
    avtek likes this.

AVF Regular
    unreal cmb - how dumb is that!!!! a bit of a thumbs down for german engineering i say - f@cking dangerous

thinking over what happened id say it started shorting the moment i screwed in the screw - not when i fired it

nothing on the net by the way - looks like im the first idiot to do this lol

I just pulled my Mini apart, and the air screw does contact the centre post when screwed all the way in... although it wouldn't have shorted until you fired it!
    However when you fired it you created a hard short! Which may well have fused the contacts on the switch, which would keep it firing, discharging the battery!
    You would be wise to check the switch for any damage!
    The battery.... just chuck it out, they're cheap enough, and safety comes first
    avtek likes this.

AVF Regular
    thanks dvietrod - yeah i pulled apart the astro switch straight after - thinking the spring may be damaged or melted - but it was all okay

on the brighter side - at least i now know what a venting battery sounds like

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast