Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Protank mini "Grommet seal" issue.

Protank mini "Grommet seal" issue.

Hi All..

I have a question about the coil seal/grommet on the Protank mini. Basically, I have to take it off for the juice to get to the coil. Does anyone else find that when they have this seal/grommet on, it stops the flow of juice to the coil?
    I have tried several now, and it's the same with all of them...

protankcoil.jpg

Quite a few vapers recommend reversing the grommet, I found the draw really tight so hubby drilled one of the airholes out a tad more and it's perfect now, be great when the mini afc comes out
    vapouriseme likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by vapouriseme View Post
    Hi All..

I have a question about the coil seal/grommet on the Protank mini. Basically, I have to take it off for the juice to get to the coil. Does anyone else find that when they have this seal/grommet on, it stops the flow of juice to the coil?
    I have tried several now, and it's the same with all of them...

protankcoil.jpg
    Yep, but after a while it starts to flood. So I do what maggie said and just turn the grommet upside down. I prevents the dry hits but stops it flooding.
    Robray and vapouriseme like this.

NOPE! Looks like I replied too early... the Juice was just what was left in the wick area... Doesn't seem to work... The seal is too good? It's bloody weird...

That seems to work! Thank you! (It's almost like that was how it was supposed to be!!) IT seals around the protank center correctly now, and the juice flows down to the wicks/coil...
    Last edited by vapouriseme; 06-04-14 at 12:32 PM.

AVF Regular
    The grommet provides two purposes. First it somewhat "shields" the wick to prevent flooding. Secondly, it provides a gasket between the chimney and the tube the chimney inserts into that leads to the drip tip. If you take the grommit off altogether you may find juice getting into the tube and gurgling, at worse getting up to the drip tip.

On the PT2's I always invert the grommet and have never had an issue.

In fact, I find the Protanks of whatever vintage suffer from a lack of juice to the coil, hence my inversion of the coil. To overcome the lack of juice to the coil I also modify the chimney, that's the little tube thingy which inserts into the deck and hides the coil.

I cut a small notch on both sides of the male portion of the chimney to align with the wick notches in the deck. By doing this I find my wicks are no longer strangled and they are free to transfer the juice to the coil and I have never had a flooding issue.

AVF Regular
    The red area shows the notch I remove to make a larger wick notch.
    imgur: the simple image sharer

Thanks for the tip, I'll give the inversion another go, if it doesn't work I'll mod the notch... I didn't realize you could take that part off... Are the coils able to be changed/rebuilt on the protank mini?

AVF Regular
    Thanks for the tip, I'll give the inversion another go, if it doesn't work I'll mod the notch... I didn't realize you could take that part off... Are the coils able to be changed/rebuilt on the protank mini?
    Absolutely! Many would say it's essential, lol.

Do a search on Youtube (or here for that matter) and you will get more info than you can poke a stick at.

AVF Regular
    vapouriseme likes this.

AVF Regular
    if it doesn't work I'll mod the notch... I didn't realize you could take that part off.
    I use a thin cut off disk on a dremmel tool but a very thin file would do. Don't make huge notches...just about half the depth of the chimney skirt to give a little more space so the wick isn't strangled.
    Last edited by Rebel1; 06-04-14 at 12:39 PM.
    vapouriseme likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast