Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Midlife
  • 1 Post By nicks

Thread: Pro Tank 2 Mini on a 510 base + other bits

AVF Regular

Pro Tank 2 Mini on a 510 base + other bits

I bought myself a air flow control base a while ago and it worked great and it was very handy having my pro tank mini on 510 threads making swapping between devices easy. The issue was the size of it as I use vision spinners mainly.
    I decided to pull it apart to see if I could reduce the diameter of it but due to the way it was made this wasn't possible.
    So I bought my self a couple of the standard 510 threaded bases and modified them to suit my spinners.

I realize that this might not be possible for most people to do as I machined them down on a lathe but I thought it was still worth showing what can be done.

The bases I bought were from Vapebar but they are available from a number of vendors and are only priced between 2 to 3 dollars each.
    The first photos is the standard base I bought and the others are the mini pro tanks on different devices.

You can see in the photo of the mini's by themselves that I have cut small notches in the bottom of the 510 threads which helps with the air flow and with this setup they have more air flow than the original bases. The flow can also be adjusted by turning the contact pin so its slot ether lines up for more flow or turned for less.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

This is a top for a IGO-W I finished off the other day and a drip tip I made to go with it.

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

Cheers
    Midlife
    arth_d, maggie and Mathy like this.

AVF Regular
    That's some really nice craftsmanship there. I use the PT Minis with the airflow control base, but I've got them a Provari, so they look ok. How is the airflow with the machining job you've done on the 510 bases? They look gorgeous, thanks for sharing

Very nice Midlife, wish we could buy them like that altho' I believe an afc is out now for the mini?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathy View Post
    That's some really nice craftsmanship there. I use the PT Minis with the airflow control base, but I've got them a Provari, so they look ok. How is the airflow with the machining job you've done on the 510 bases? They look gorgeous, thanks for sharing
    Thanks
    The machining was very straight forward as I should have only needed to turn down the diameter but when I went to put the mini's onto the base I found the thread was to tall and so it didn't sit down on the O ring. So I had to put them back up and machine just over 1mm off the height of the thread.
    Once I was set up to do the first one the second one only took a couple of minutes to do. To make life easier for me to machine them I set up a mechanical mod tube with the top screwed in in the lathe and then I screwed the adapters into it so I could machine them which made it very fast to actually do the machining.

The air flow was not very good until I put the slots in the base of the 510 thread. The slots were done by holding a 4 inch grinder in a vice with a 1mm cutoff disc this made it easy to control the depth of the notch. I also drilled the air holes out to 1mm but I don't think it helped that much due to the seal on the contact pin of the coil.
    The air flow is a lot more open than it was with the stock bases now.

Very nice Midlife, wish we could buy them like that altho' I believe an afc is out now for the mini?
    Thanks Maggie
    I believe they are going to be available but they are going to still be ego threads and I really wanted 510 threaded bases

Cheers
    Midlife

AVF Regular
    very nice work!!! if you make any available for sale, let us know, I'd certainly be interested...

for those of us lacking the required craftsmanship, an alternative would be this:

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1411/10005287/1428116

i've not come across the mini 510 connector on its own
    Midlife likes this.