Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Optimising Mechanical mods (Clone variants)

AVF Regular

Optimising Mechanical mods (Clone variants)

Morning all.

So I received my Hcigar Origin mod, and I think for the price and it being a clone, its still a decent piece.

I do have reservations on it though...

1. One of the tube threads gets stuck, but eventually screw/unscrew.
    2. The switch (spring) will not fire (or get stuck) unless you depress from the middle.
    3. The internal thread tubing needed to be dremel'd down as my AW 18650 was getting caught from inside! Big concern with regards to battery safety.

I understand that I probably got a poorer copy clone, but this is my FIRST mech mod so I'm not going to invest my earnings on an overpriced metal tube just yet.

I do however welcome your advice if I can optimise more so on the switch if it can be done on a clone? Its not as smooth as I would hope and when I fire it, you can hear and feel a fine grating sound. The threads though are a little smoother once I ultrasonically cleaned and applied carbon grease. My only grip is the switch!

Just be careful with the omega and dont be afraid to check it hasnt locked but firing still. I had to run out the door so didnt check when i locked it and constantly fired. Two hours later came home and the kayfun attached had melted insulators etc.

AVF Regular
    Hey mate, where do you get Omega from? Is that the atty you have, or are you referring to the Origin?

The locking ring design on the Origin is a little tricky to move, as the switch moves along with it too.
    I added an extra o-ring where someone had the same issue on Youtube, but still moves around

the mod in question is the origin (hcigar) in my case. I found if the switch assembly wasnt tight using the locking ring caused this but i could hear it fire so i would fix it. in my case i didnt do it once.

AVF Regular
    In my experience with clones there have always been small things wrong with them, whether it be the switch, threading, etc etc. If you can live with them good on you, you can have a mech mod for a fraction of the cost. But if you do decide you can't live with the defective parts, you will not regret the purchase of the real deal. I have bought many originals after owning the clone and all I can say is the finish and QC is miles apart. and if you do receive a defective unit you can send it back to get a replacement. the clone makers would go broke if they offered that haha.
    Instead of wasting money on optimising your clone, perhaps lash out and purchase a original mech and be careful with it. They're not as fragile as you may think, just don't drop it. If you don't like it you can trade it or sell it.
    D Jovanovic likes this.

Money spent Vaping: Who cares, I'll live long enough to earn more!

wise words there. since my clone incident i bought a legit mod (hades) feel alot more comfortable using it

N Sydney, Aus, Earth, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster
    Don't know about Origin

Atom needed switch pin tightened. Now it does not come undone any more. Now it's perfect
    Astro all SS needed a tiny bit of -ve insulator sanded down and switch pin tightened. Now it's perfect
    Nemesis needed a tiny stick of threading tape to stop switch pin from loosening. Magnets for switch. Now it's almost perfect. Waiting for hybrid connector that will use a home made PET washer to stop from locking.

Most decent clones that I took time to read up on should only take 3min of rectifying problems. After that, they work great.

]6⁹.12[

AVF Regular
    I appreciate your opinions and I have no doubt that the original is much better in finish and QC.
    I have a brand new genuine KFL+ and the workmanship is amazing!

If I can improve the Origin clone then massive bonus. My post was aimed at yourselves who've owned and learnt from experience.

Having said that, the VA Silverback looks pretty nice. I'm after the baddest and stealthiest 18350 mod!
    D3AB likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by sushiaddiction View Post
    Nemesis needed a tiny stick of threading tape to stop switch pin from loosening. Magnets for switch. Now it's almost perfect. Waiting for hybrid connector that will use a home made PET washer to stop from locking.
    When you say "stop from locking" what do you mean? Do you mean the button binding when it's hit off center?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Micdeez View Post
    Morning all.

So I received my Hcigar Origin mod, and I think for the price and it being a clone, its still a decent piece.

I do have reservations on it though...

1. One of the tube threads gets stuck, but eventually screw/unscrew.
    2. The switch (spring) will not fire (or get stuck) unless you depress from the middle.
    3. The internal thread tubing needed to be dremel'd down as my AW 18650 was getting caught from inside! Big concern with regards to battery safety.

I understand that I probably got a poorer copy clone, but this is my FIRST mech mod so I'm not going to invest my earnings on an overpriced metal tube just yet.

I do however welcome your advice if I can optimise more so on the switch if it can be done on a clone? Its not as smooth as I would hope and when I fire it, you can hear and feel a fine grating sound. The threads though are a little smoother once I ultrasonically cleaned and applied carbon grease. My only grip is the switch!
    If the switch is typical of most mechanical switches they are a very basic. Pull the switch apart and check that the sliding surfaces ( the parts that move in and out of each other ) are nice and smooth. Check for rough machining lines and burs ( metal dags left from machining ) If you find any remove them or smooth them down but be careful as you don't want to remove to much material or you will make it to loose. The other issue that they can have is that there is to much clearance between the the two sliding parts which will cause the switch to kick over when you press the switch which can cause it to catch and not slide. If it is to much clearance there is not a lot that you can do as an easy fix other than applying a very small amount of your grease to the sliding parts.

Cheers
    Midlife
    Last edited by Midlife; 15-04-14 at 12:47 PM.
    Fatman and Micdeez like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast