Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: rewicking - what am i doing wrong?

AVF Regular

rewicking - what am i doing wrong?

i can build a micro coil and stick acotton wick in that works just fine, but when i dry burn and put a new wick in, it doesn't work. tastes like rubbish and is unusable. what am i doing wrong? i wick it the same when i rewick as i do for the initial build. i don't get it. i haven't been able to successfully rewick yet. if i want to put in fresh cotton, i have to totally rebuild to have it work any good. help!

AVF Regular
    less is more Kay. Are you over wicking it ?

Have you removed all the nasty from the coil when dryburning ?

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    are you doing this now? a picture says a thousand words with these things
    Altered1 likes this.
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    You most certainly do not have to make a new coil. It should come back good as new and better than you've had for a while. They do bed in a little. If your using a different brand of cotton it might make a huge difference(coles homebrand sucks arse). Make sure your coil is properly connected and still squished together, and not touching the base or side of the mod. Sometimes it will take a few drags to get the taste of the juice flowing again. Do bum puffs or if its a dripper blow instead of suck so that the crap is expelled out the airholes. Good luck!!!

It sounds like an odd problem your having ATM but stick with it.
    LIVE AND LET VAPE
    POWER TO THE P.V.
    OFF THE SMOKES FOREVER

AVF Regular
    I found when rewicking with cotton you have to be REALLY diligent with getting rid of any errant fibres that could be stuck in your coil. It's easy to miss them if the light is poor, or your eyes aren't great or whatever. One or two very fine fibres that get crisped when you are dry burning can leave a nasty residue on your coil.
    DogMan likes this.

I'm not fat, I just ate somebody who was.

AVF Regular
    Kay, we both doing the same thing ..... saturday is my re-wicking day. I've just re-wicked 2 Kanger PTmini's and 2 Kayfuns.
    I agree with the previous folks and add to wet down your new wick after you have replaced it. I usually have some unflavoured juice to wet down wicks as I'm often not sure what flavour I'm going to use in what atty.
    Today given I know what i'm using in which atty I just wet down with that juice.
    Also .. let me say this and there may be some folks disagree with me but after I've re-wicked......filled with juice .... done the short bum sucks .... Then I leave it for 5 minutes before I vape.

I've noticed that my wicks seem better after a second refill of juice in an atty. By that I mean that after vaping all the first fill, the next fill seems to vape better and I believe (rightly or wrongly) that the wick has absorbed the juice from the first fill and swollen to it's maximum wicking ability. Obviously, this only applies if I'm refilling with the same flavour as the first fill.

That's just me though...every one has different opinions.
    Last edited by Rebel1; 18-04-14 at 04:02 PM.

AVF Regular
    Dont be shy about dry burning a coil. Burn that sucker, several times. Then I tend to let it glow red for a few seconds (3-4s) then stick it straight under a running tap to rinse any crud off. Do this maybe once or twice then dry it out and rewick.
    gtadmin, Mark B and sc_rufctr like this.

AVF Regular
    when I dry burn my coils I heat them up for about 5-10 secs a couple times, then I rinse them under the tap while they are still red hot, (using a mech mod) but I am careful not to get water anywhere near the rest of my mod, and they come up good as new. I often do this to keep my vape as flavourful as possible (not changing flavours) and I can notice a definite increase in flavour using the same juice, as my coils junk up every couple days or so. So it's strange that you are getting a different flavour after a dry burn.
    As others have said make sure there is no bits of cotton left on the coils when you dry burn, that could be the problem for you.
    gtadmin and Mark B like this.

Money spent Vaping: Who cares, I'll live long enough to earn more!

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kay67kay View Post
    i can build a micro coil and stick acotton wick in that works just fine, but when i dry burn and put a new wick in, it doesn't work. tastes like rubbish and is unusable. what am i doing wrong? i wick it the same when i rewick as i do for the initial build. i don't get it. i haven't been able to successfully rewick yet. if i want to put in fresh cotton, i have to totally rebuild to have it work any good. help!
    After dry burning and before you rewick, are you boiling the coil to remove the residue left over from the dry burn? Note: some people insist a rinse in whiskey is adequate ... I prefer a boil.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    After dry burning and before you rewick, are you boiling the coil to remove the residue left over from the dry burn? Note: some people insist a rinse in whiskey is adequate ... I prefer a boil.
    Nah, way too much work. Might as well just knock up a fresh one.
    LIVE AND LET VAPE
    POWER TO THE P.V.
    OFF THE SMOKES FOREVER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast