Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By lmb
  • 1 Post By Hellfish
  • 2 Post By coopz
  • 1 Post By studiovape

Thread: A little help with RBA's

A little help with RBA's

Apart from rebuilding some of my ProTank coils I haven't delved much yet .. I have a Kayfun 3.1 clone and a UD AGI Dripping + Tank .. Still in their boxes .. They are very inexpensive and thought I would cut my teeth on them .. If I was to lash out and get the real McCoy .. What would be the way to go .. I did like the Zen Atty .. But I don't really know what to look for.

Also what should I be stocking up on .. Already have a couple of 30ft spools of Kanthal 30 & 32 guage, plenty of organic cotton, some 1,2 & 3mm glass fibre .. Not much stainless only what come with the RBA's .. Should I get different guages in Kanthal maybe 28 ?

I know there is a mountain of choices out there and everyone has their personal preferences but any guidance will help
    Smoke Free 'n Vaping Happily
    Since 1/2/2014

lmb
    AVF Regular
    Hey Ol'54, you'll get a fair few different options no doubt, but I'm a fan of the genuine Kayfun style with a 28 guage coil, 7 or 8 wrap microcoil (I wrap around a toothpick). Usually around 1.2 to 1.4 ohms with cotton wick. Performs really well on both mechs and vv/vw device. Start trying with trying out a few builds, then decide on whether you want KF style, genesis or dripper. And when building youtube is your friend
    KrazyVape and OL'54MOD like this.

AVF Regular
    Personally I prefer a micro coil in a dripper with cotton wick, this method is very quick and easy to learn. Sounds like you should try some builds out on what you have and see what you like. The pro tank coils are probably the hardest things to rebuild out of the list you mentioned, mind you I did nearly throw my first genesis atomiser at the wall. 28 gauge is also easier to work with when doing micro's I think.
    OL'54MOD likes this.

30g for VW/VV electronic mods or for dual coils or ithaka silica type atties.
    28g for genisis atties and mech mods,
    The inbetween size "28/29g" AKA 0.3mm is a good all rounder for drippers and kayfuns on mechs and elec VW/VV IMO.

28g is easier for micro coils and cotton like Hellfish said.
    30g is better for silica wraps, and to keep the ohms up for dual coils on electronic VW/VV mods
    28/29g or 29g is a good compromise to stock up on IMO. As easy as 28g for micro coils as it's much thicker and stiffer than 30g, keeps the ohms slightly higher too, so better than 28g for dual coils and VW electronic mods.
    It heats up quicker than 28g, as easy to work with as 28g, needs an extra 1-2 wraps is all - but that's good because it means more wick under/in coil too for quicker and more vapour.

e: I still find 28/29g a bit too stiff to wrap around silica still though, so I prefer 30g for that. But that's probably due to my lack of silica coiling practice due to my distaste of silica anyway
    Last edited by coopz; 21-04-14 at 11:08 PM.
    singlefished and OL'54MOD like this.

Thanks guys .. that's a great help
    Smoke Free 'n Vaping Happily
    Since 1/2/2014

AVF Regular
    For dripper or bottom fed setups I use 28g Nichrome, I know it isnt always as easy to source and some people don't like "the taste" ( to me it has none).
    It has a lower resistance per foot than 28g Kanthal, and as such it is more responsive as it has less mass at the same Ohms.
    I can get it from my local 'Leading Edge' electronics store even here in Gympie, so I never get caught short, I use the 28g Kanthal occasionally with VV/VW mods.
    I tend to run Tricro coils, and they come in a round 0.9Ohm for the Nichrome ( for mechs and DNAs) and 1.3Ohm for the Kanthal (for Zmax etc).
    OL'54MOD likes this.
    Vaping since July 2012.