Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Buying a charger from overseas?

Buying a charger from overseas?

If I'm to buy a charger, would it make any difference if I purchase the same model, sold locally, from an overseas vendor?

Soshine SCS7 Li-ion & NiMH charger sells the soshine scs7 for $35

Fasttech sells it for ~$15 $14.73 Soshine SC-S7 LCD Universal Ni-MH/Lithium Smart USB/AC Battery Charger - w/ USB & cigarette lighter cables at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Vapepal sells it for $25 Soshine SC-S7 LCD Charger

I'm guessing all of them are the same, except JPT-australia is the only charger which has passed whatever local certification it needs.

If I just plug in a power adapter, would it make a difference safety wise? If my house blows up I'm guessing the local certification will make a difference when it comes to claiming insurance.

AVF Regular
    see super snoop on ebay he sells them.

AVF Regular
    My advice.. Skimp wherever you want with vaping except with batteries and chargers. Buy the best charger you can afford and buy it from a company that will back up their product.
    OL'54MOD likes this.

AVF Regular
    Supersnoop won't let you down he is a member here.

Quote Originally Posted by lobagola View Post
    If I'm to buy a charger, would it make any difference if I purchase the same model, sold locally, from an overseas vendor?

Soshine SCS7 Li-ion & NiMH charger sells the soshine scs7 for $35

Fasttech sells it for ~$15 $14.73 Soshine SC-S7 LCD Universal Ni-MH/Lithium Smart USB/AC Battery Charger - w/ USB & cigarette lighter cables at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Vapepal sells it for $25 Soshine SC-S7 LCD Charger

I'm guessing all of them are the same, except JPT-australia is the only charger which has passed whatever local certification it needs.

If I just plug in a power adapter, would it make a difference safety wise? If my house blows up I'm guessing the local certification will make a difference when it comes to claiming insurance.
    Yes, the Australian one is the only one that provides a mains adapter.
    Also of note, they mention the input is 1A, so if you buy the other ones you need to use a PC (risk the mother board if a failure occurs, and be limited to half the current 500mA so much slower to charge too), or supply your own 1a USB power pack.

Also, this charger is 1A output. 18650 IMR cells wouldn't mind that, but some hybrids or smaller cells might not like it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
    Supersnoop won't let you down he is a member here.
    Was trying to work out who you were talking about.
    You mean supersports600 right?
    Last edited by coopz; 24-04-14 at 12:59 AM.

fad
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfish View Post
    My advice.. Skimp wherever you want with vaping except with batteries and chargers. Buy the best charger you can afford and buy it from a company that will back up their product.
    This.

The best way to maximise battery life is to not drain them deeply.

Since most of us abuse them by vaping however, the practical alternative is to buy the best charger available. This will be cheaper over time as you end up buying less batteries.

Best doesn't mean unaffordably expensive. Fasttech might be $15, buying a local generic around $30 or so. But a good one (xtar vp1 for example) can be had for $60 delivered.

You don't need to take our word for all this. Flashlight freaks have been obsessively analyzing and reviewing batteries and chargers for years and there are endless posts over on CandlePowerForums and BudgetLightForum on about all this.

tl;dr: pamper your batteries by buying a decent charger.
    OL'54MOD likes this.

I thought I'd be better off buying a charger with USB input because we travel o/s frequently and that way, I'd only need to have all of the appropriate wall adapters (that we already travel with). No?

fad
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu68 View Post
    I thought I'd be better off buying a charger with USB input because we travel o/s frequently and that way, I'd only need to have all of the appropriate wall adapters (that we already travel with). No?
    You can do that, but you will be limiting yourself to less capable/slower chargers.

If you get a charger with an external plugpack they should be auto-ranging from 100-250 volts.
    So all you would need would be a power plug adapter.

I recommend getting good chargers here (lithium/vape, usb, notebook etc) then plugging them
    into a powerboard and just taking one universal power point adapter to plug the board into.

If you do want a usb powered charger look at the Xtar MP1. It's cheap and has proper CC/CV
    charging profiles for good battery life.

I went to Battery World - they got a few chargers suitable for 18350-18650 types.

So what's the problem if I get this:
    $14.73 Soshine SC-S7 LCD Universal Ni-MH/Lithium Smart USB/AC Battery Charger - w/ USB & cigarette lighter cables at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

and then a EU AC adapter (https://www.fasttech.com/products/1201200) with EU-AU power plug adapter (https://www.fasttech.com/products/1182202)

Works out to be $19 for the exact same charger sold locally for $35

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast