Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Mesh wicks - must be doing something wrong?

AVF Regular

Mesh wicks - must be doing something wrong?

Bear with me here, rebuildable/mesh wick noob & I got no one I know that I can ask!

Been trying to get an rsst vaping properly with a mesh wick without much luck, not sure if it's the wick itself or the way I'm winding the coil around it.
    I've been getting wierd variations in coil resistance & needing more coils than I think I should to get enough resistance for my zmax to fire it.
    Been having to use 6 wraps of 30g kenthal & I'm getting an airy draw with less vapour than my old mini nova's, muted flavour too.
    Last night I cracked the sh|ts with mesh & knocked up a quick silica wick for it, only needed 5 wraps to get a steady 1.3 ohms, vapes much better even tho it's very rough as I'd had enough & just wanted it to vape.

With the mesh wicks & 6 wraps I was getting everything from 2.1 ohm down to low load errors & wildly varying vape, that sorta suggests to me I'm getting shorts across the wick between the coils.
    I oxidised the crap out of the wick, but I'm wondering if maybe I'm just wrapping the coils too tight on the wick?
    Takes ages of pulsing & fiddling to get it to glow evenly & the slightest bump & it gets cold spots & hot spots all over the place.

Just uploading a pic of a couple of wicks/coils I did last night.

AVF Regular
    Neither of these worked well at all:

Welcome.

Have a look through the rapist thread on PF where I did a couple of diagrams and explanations for MR 1JZ towards the end of last year. The coils don't look too tight, it's more a shorting issue particularly with the fluctating resistance.
    308hjute likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by <---cop View Post
    Welcome.

Have a look through the rapist thread on PF where I did a couple of diagrams and explanations for MR 1JZ towards the end of last year. The coils don't look too tight, it's more a shorting issue particularly with the fluctating resistance.
    *fluctuating
    <---cop likes this.
    Pipes, tubes, boxes, atomisers.

ECHO ALPHA DELTA CHARLIE

*asshole

AVF Regular
    *arsehole

Last edited by 308hjute; 01-05-14 at 10:43 AM.
    Pipes, tubes, boxes, atomisers.

ECHO ALPHA DELTA CHARLIE

AVF Regular
    Looks like I've been hooking the coil to the ground & post around the wrong way - will that do it?

I got a nova for backup, I'll slap my best coil from last night back in & hook it up your way.

Wrapping it that way I showed will maintain the wick and coil contact and help reduce the hot spotting on the top coil which looks like an issue.

AVF Regular
    I've been having the similar issues as well, and yeah, I think I've been making a similar mistake (direction around the post and bottom contact), which I'll work on later today when I get time.
    There's more help here too, especially the last couple of pages:
    I Did It For Real!
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

AVF Regular
    Ok, hooked it up right, dry burned it & it's now glowing from the middle out to the ends.
    Resistance is now sitting at a constant 2.2 ohm rather than being all over the place.
    It's better, producing more vapour, but not much flavour.
    I'm on 4.2v now, going any higher gives it a nasty throat hit.
    It's not wicking very well, dry hits unless I tip it every drag & the wick looks too dry?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast