Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Going through coils quite fast, am i doing something wrong?

AVF Regular

Going through coils quite fast, am i doing something wrong?

Hey guys, so i currently have a MVP2 with a Protank 2 & Airflow valve, and an VV V3 with a Mini protank 2. i have been buying 1.8ohm replacement coils from vapeking to use in them, i do vape alot during the course of a single day but i seem to only be getting 2-3 days out of a single coil, i do play around with the voltage a bit, but usually im around 3.5-3.8 volts on my apv's, and ill occasionally get a really dry hit, sometime i think i change coils prematurely because i get a few burnt taste hits in a row.

I use 80vg/20pg mixes from mt baker, is it a wicking problem perhaps? ( I do take the little rubber piece on the stem off when i put a new coil in).

Also, ive tried Rip Trippers guide on building my own coils, but i find.. they dont taste that good at all perhaps its the cotton im using? (100% Organic Cotton Balls - 5 Pack) doing like 9-10ish wraps of 28g kanthal

anyway im still a newbie and im probly ranting on, but just thought id see what you guys think.
    clearo's are fantasitc for when your on the go but i ordered an IGO-L as my first rebuildable so i hope dripping is just as good as i hear it is !

Retired Account
    Once you get that burnt taste, you will get it for a few to more hits after that one. The taste lingers. You can try firing it and doing a few mouth puffs without inhaling to get rid of the burnt taste faster.. that can help a bit.
    High VG can definitely be a wicking issue.
    Either consider dropping the VG, or add a few drops of alcohol (vodka and spirytus are both good, spirytus is available from dan murphys) or distilled water.
    I find the organic tastes like dental wadding, but persona cotton balls from coles don't have any cottony flavour to me.. tastes may vary, so worth trying a few different ones.

High VG seems to work great when you build your own coils for dripping

Good luck with figuring it out. Perhaps try some different clearomisers?
    I tried many of them before I found one I liked, and then ultimately pretty much stick to carto tanks exclusively now.
    Oh, and welcome to AVF! Nice to have you here

Welcome nukem,that's reasonably high VG IMHO for those types of coils. Are you dry drawing on the first fill to make sure the wick is saturated?

I run around 50/50 on a 4.2v Mech lower than 1.5 Ohms single coil(1.2-1.3 is sweet) no probs,though it's not a Protank.

Mrs runs 1.5Ohms on an iClear30 DCT same ratio and she lets it sit n soak...gets around a week or more.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsgruffy View Post
    Once you get that burnt taste, you will get it for a few to more hits after that one. The taste lingers. You can try firing it and doing a few mouth puffs without inhaling to get rid of the burnt taste faster.. that can help a bit.
    High VG can definitely be a wicking issue.
    Either consider dropping the VG, or add a few drops of alcohol (vodka and spirytus are both good, spirytus is available from dan murphys) or distilled water.
    I find the organic tastes like dental wadding, but persona cotton balls from coles don't have any cottony flavour to me.. tastes may vary, so worth trying a few different ones.

High VG seems to work great when you build your own coils for dripping

Good luck with figuring it out. Perhaps try some different clearomisers?
    I tried many of them before I found one I liked, and then ultimately pretty much stick to carto tanks exclusively now.
    Oh, and welcome to AVF! Nice to have you here
    Thanks for the friendly welcome!

yea the reason i went for high VG is mainly because ive had alot of stomach issues in the past and i heard that PG can irritate and upset your stomach, aswell as some other things i have heard, but also because i kinda wanted more clouds hehe!

when i put a new coil in a let it sit for a good 10 mins , and then do a few dry mouth puffs before giving it the first toke! but now i know the burnt taste hangs around for longer ill kno not to be too quick to change coils, also maybe i will try and add some distilled water to my juice to make it wick better, thanks!

As for clearo's ive tried ALL of the kanger ones, ive been wanting to try an Aspire Nautilus but seeing as my first dripper is on the way i might hold off on that for a while.
    Cartos have got my attention lately but i have zero knoledge on them haha! i have lots more learning to do!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mushman View Post
    Welcome nukem,that's reasonably high VG IMHO for those types of coils. Are you dry drawing on the first fill to make sure the wick is saturated?

I run around 50/50 on a 4.2v Mech lower than 1.5 Ohms single coil(1.2-1.3 is sweet) no probs,though it's not a Protank.

Mrs runs 1.5Ohms on an iClear30 DCT same ratio and she lets it sit n soak...gets around a week or more.
    thanks for the welcome!

Yea ive tried a a few iclear's but the mt baker juice made them crack literally overnight! so i decided to stick with the glass tanks, but yep i do leave the coil to soak for a good amount of time and do sum dry mouth puffs before attempting to vape on a new coil.

AVF Regular
    Howdy, I'd bet my car it is silica gunk. Pull the chimney off pull out the yuck wick out. wash, dry burn, cotton, vape.

Of course I'd be remiss if I didn;t tell you buy a nautalis.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Courage View Post
    Howdy, I'd bet my car it is silica gunk. Pull the chimney off pull out the yuck wick out. wash, dry burn, cotton, vape.

Of course I'd be remiss if I didn;t tell you buy a nautalis.
    yep in addition to making my own coils, i have attempted just re-wicking the stock kanger coils with cotton, but i still end up not getting a great taste, perhaps i need to boil the cotton im buying or find a different cotton to use.

oh and dont worry, the nautalis is on the top of my "to buy" list

AVF Regular
    Howdy,

You need to use cotton from a chemist like Johnstons etc. If you have it from coles it's awful.

No probs mate,Mrs uses one but I use a Silica RBA as my main.

The Aspire seems to be the go from what others have said...umm yeah not partial to cotton but some are so keep on trying!

Maybe some Silica??

AVF Regular
    yep i ordered a bunch of stuff with my IGO-L, some silica some eco-wool and some surgical grade cotton, so we'll see how that goes!

I appreciate the advise everybody!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast