Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First RDA

First RDA

got my first RDA today, attempted a dual coil.. it seems ok not sure if its just the juice (VB - Peach Tea) or the silica wicks but it tastes a little meh. tbh I'm kinda just not into this juice lately.

anyone have any suggestions other than getting cotton - i didn't want to wait till tomorrow why i used silica

AVF Regular
    Cotton :P

But in preparation you may want to try micro coils or contact coils as they are sometimes known as. I find them to to be the easiest, most consistent and have a much larger longevity than most. I was tell you to youtube it but in 3 pages i couldnt find any that didnt go for 20 minutes or in 2 minutes built decently.

You basically wrap a coil around a cylindrical object (1/2mm drill bit ect) And wrap it around applying slight tension whilst making sure the coils are touching each other as best you can.

Once desired number of wraps is done you can then remove the coil then grip them with tweezers, Whilst gripping the coils with tweezers use a small blowtorch/jet lighter to the coil and apply pressure on the coil. This heats the coil up and makes it stay tightly touching the other coils.

i think its the silica giving me that taste, not too sure, just changed up the juice still kinda funky going to have to get a WA guy to give me a blast on his RDA so i can see whats what

AVF Regular
    My first foray into silica turned me off it and I even sold the Spheroid that I had just purchased. Six months later I tried a spheroid with a contact coil build and cotton and whoa, now I have two spheroids! Silica definitely has an off taste to some. What Fawks says, to make a contact coil is true, but if you don't have a jet lighter or the like, you can fire your mod and once the coil is glowing you can release the button and gently compact the coil until it cools(a few seconds). Do this a couple of times and Bobs ya uncle.
    LIVE AND LET VAPE
    POWER TO THE P.V.
    OFF THE SMOKES FOREVER

yeah it works at least and wicks, not bad for first attempt. i change drip tip to a stiletto, the flavour is less.

AVF Regular
    Pretty good first up. Good luck selecting a good cotton. Some can have a shocking taste. Avoid coles homebrand at all costs its cheap I'll give it that.
    LIVE AND LET VAPE
    POWER TO THE P.V.
    OFF THE SMOKES FOREVER

I had the same problem with silica as many do with cotton. All silica is not created the same, and some of it needs boil/soaking/burning to get rid of it's taste too.

Some wire is different too. I could never use ready wires (nr-r-nr) as the wire gives off a bad taste for a while (I don't like nichrome at all), and kanthal comes in different grades, differing chrome and other ingredients.
    Last edited by coopz; 06-05-14 at 04:43 AM.

AVF Regular
    Also did you give your rda a good clean before using it sometimes they have machine oil residue left over the rda which gives a bad taste

contact/micro coils + Koh gen do =

also try a single coil, some times dual are just too much
    DONT DRIP AND DRIVE!

AVF Regular
    nothing wrong with silica. I use ecowool. Torch it till it glows red even before I coil it up. After it is coiled on the rda, I wash it and then dry burn ready for juice. No silica taste.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast