Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New PCB into a Vamo

AVF Regular

New PCB into a Vamo

Hey all,

today, my replacement vamo arrived, with a spare board to fix the old one.

It's a *****.

Getting the top off proved a trial, but with perseverence and a sacrificial coil head, I managed to get the top off without scratches or damaging the ego thread.

make sure you have a hot soldering iron!
    watchout for the rubber seals on the positive post.

any questions?

all the bits look like this once disassembled:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Robray likes this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

LNB
    AVF Regular
    I pulled my Vamo V5 apart to polish the scratched dark chrome off of it, now its a full brass vamo. I screwed the battery compartment onto where the beauty ring goes and put the body into a vice, wiggled it from side to side and it came off pretty easy. Did you get the PCB from fasttech?

AVF Regular
    I did. search for vomo.

after putting it back together, the new board floats, even with the plastic shield, but it's held in place by the intermediate tube that is interference fit as well - that came out relatively easily.

was thinking of a cut in half mod for the old vamo, but dunno about that loose board if i remove the bottom tube. I guess I could always go the hot glue route.

I should have used some blutac or some tape to hold the buttons in place - they bounced across the kitchen a couple of times
    Last edited by Altered1; 08-05-14 at 11:28 PM.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

AVF Regular
    Hot glue or that black firm foam that's in many of our boxes.
    Robray and Altered1 like this.

LNB
    AVF Regular
    When you say the board floats even with the plastic sheild, you mean the half moon shaped black piece of plastic? if the board is loose is there a chance the buttons might catch on the body? As you said a tiny drop of hot glue would secure it in place and it wouldn't be hard to remove the glue should the board need replacing in the future.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGruffy View Post
    Hot glue or that black firm foam that's in many of our boxes.
    got some of that black foam - great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by LNB View Post
    When you say the board floats even with the plastic sheild, you mean the half moon shaped black piece of plastic? if the board is loose is there a chance the buttons might catch on the body? As you said a tiny drop of hot glue would secure it in place and it wouldn't be hard to remove the glue should the board need replacing in the future.
    yes, the black piece of plastic. there is nothing for the board to bottom out on. There was a little foam plug glued to the top of the board, just under the top cap. that was all that was securing the board in place. so it's now resting on the middle tube, with the battery post sticking out through the hole. I can get a pic...

LNB
    AVF Regular
    A pic would be good mate, I want to buy a couple of the PCB's from fastech just incase my Vamo stops working and it would be good to see what you have done to hold the PCB in side of the body of the vamo.

AVF Regular

AVF Regular
    yeah, he had the battery tube on, so that is what the board is resting on. All the buttons and screen line up

the boards are a perfect fit, just needs a bit of support in there.

I now know why the board died. it was full of juice. the 510 insulation is very thin, and easily leaked past
    Last edited by Altered1; 09-05-14 at 12:14 AM.

LNB
    AVF Regular
    How long have you been using the vamo and how much juice was inside the body?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast