Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: The clone effect

lmb
    AVF Regular

The clone effect

So in my journey through the vaping world, I think I have found my happy place. I have a number of mods that I love and have spent the GDP of a small country acquiring. You could say I am content.

One problem I have found though is, I want to find a cheap mod. Not a replica, including serial number, of an expensive mod which I can acquire for a few cents and a packet of skittles but a good cheap mod. It then dawned on me. The effect of cloning is that the focus which would have otherwise gone into quality but cheaper mods is diverted almost exclusively towards clones.

I do not intend this to become yet another clone vs original debate, there have been far too many of those in the past and it is clear that there are two camps with diametrically opposed views. What I do want to know is, when looking to spend around the $25 to $50 mark for a metal tube with a top cap and firing switch of some sort, why are there no basic mods not trying to be anything other than what they are.

Sigelei used to fill the void to an extent making numerous mods 'inspired' by others but not replicating them to the nth degree. Now there does not appear to be anyone in that market segment. A search of fasttech showed almost nothing original, except the k100 which is itself 'inspired' by another design, although at least not pretending to be it.

Has anyone found anything that fills the void. I want a beater mod. Decent construction, decent button, not too much fiddling, no serial numbers or makers marks that do not belong to the maker. If there is nothing out there, why not. It seems like a segment which should be booming. When we smoked you didn't get Horizon pretending to be Davidoff, Horizon were cheaper bulk buys and proud of it.

I look forward to any reasonable discussion (I repeat, not a thread for clones vs originals, please do not go down that path)

LMB
    CMB, mathsguy, Big Ev and 2 others like this.

AVF Regular
    SMOK brands mayby?
    lmb and sc_rufctr like this.

CMB
    AVF Regular
    I was thinking the exact same thing the other day, I want a decent 18650 mech that is reasonably priced and not a rip off.

Youde do a good job making decent atties that aren't a rip off, but haven't seen much in the way of mods from them.
    lmb likes this.

AVF Regular
    There is always the bolt or the roughstack
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    SMOK Magneto.
    Noe and mathsguy like this.

lmb
    AVF Regular
    There are a few out there, Smok only seem to have the magneto and the pipe. Given the breadth of options available at the upper end of the market and the clone market the fact that we are only able to come up with limited options is an answer in itself
    Fawks likes this.

AVF Regular
    How about the vamo? It's reasonable priced (around $50) and vapes like a champ. The same could be said for the MVP.

Sent from my mobile.

lmb
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.c View Post
    How about the vamo? It's reasonable priced (around $50) and vapes like a champ. The same could be said for the MVP.

Sent from my mobile.
    I was thinking more in the realms of the mech mods, but I have owned both and agree they are fantastic for what they are. The concern is that with the rise in the vv/vw clones (think hanamodz), how much longer are we going to see original, well priced mods coming out. At least there will always be Inokin. Nothing but originality from them (I'm looking at you 134 and VTR)

AVF Regular
    I think the GUS mods fit the bill. Reasonably cheap and some innovations goes into the build process
    mathsguy and lmb like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.c View Post

Sent from my mobile.
    vamo build can be dodgy and they don't all last a long time

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast