Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Altered1

Thread: Broken mech?

AVF Regular

Broken mech?

Alrighty. So I got home from work today, with full hands, I put my mech in my work bag and started walking inside. Turns out I didn't put it in my bag as well as I thought. Next thing I know, I hear something crash onto the cement. At first I thought it was my phone, but I look down and see the 19b and kfl clone, sitting on the ground....crap.

I pick it up and try to fire it. No luck. I swap out for a fresh battery, still no good. I try both RDAs which I know are working. No luck... I pulled apart the mod as much as I could to clean it out and check if anything was wrong. The 510 pin and insulator were fine, the button worked fine, and even after a quick scrub clean it still didn't fire.

I tried testing the voltage but no go, it didn't seem to be getting any at the 510.

Is there something I may be over looking? Or am I out of luck? I guess this is the reason for having backup devices hah.

Cheers

AVF Regular
    Mech's are really simple, they either get a circuit to fire or they don't.

have you got connectivity through to the positive post on the 510 connection?
    Fawks likes this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    What altered said.

I pulled apart the mod as much as I could
    You should be able to comfortably strip a mod down to each individual part. You will figure this out, and its a good lesson on how it works too.

hey mate i would say there is something wrong in your switch maybe. could be its not making contact and completing the circuit properly. where bouts in SA are you? i got an old 19b myself i have tinkered with a fair bit, i could take a look at yours and try work out whats wrong, change a couple parts with mine, if your not too far away
    If that doesn't work try a bigger hammer!

have you completely taken the bottom button apart so you can see the spring and everything?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Altered1 View Post
    Mech's are really simple, they either get a circuit to fire or they don't.

have you got connectivity through to the positive post on the 510 connection?
    That's what I was thinking. It's a simple device, yet I can't find anything wrong with it. My atties make connection (adjustable pin), but can't seem to get a reading using the multimeter.

Quote Originally Posted by Fawks View Post
    What altered said.

You should be able to comfortably strip a mod down to each individual part. You will figure this out, and its a good lesson on how it works too.
    I've taken it apart multiple times for cleaning, etc but the button is one of the glued style buttons so not something I can take apart without ruining it more

Quote Originally Posted by suspect View Post
    hey mate i would say there is something wrong in your switch maybe. could be its not making contact and completing the circuit properly. where bouts in SA are you? i got an old 19b myself i have tinkered with a fair bit, i could take a look at yours and try work out whats wrong, change a couple parts with mine, if your not too far away
    Hey. Unfortunately I'm in Pirie, so a little out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by suspect View Post
    have you completely taken the bottom button apart so you can see the spring and everything?
    I've got one of the glued buttons, which as far as I know will make it unusable without further modding the button. If I can take it apart though, it would hopefully shed more light on the problem.

yeah mine was a glued button. it was a ***** to take apart. have to smash the magnet, drill into the bottom post and smash an allen key into the drilled hole so that you can some purchase to unscrew it. not really advised. does you multimeter have a bell function? one of settings where when you touch the 2 probes together it makes a bell sound? you could try belling it out at different points to find where its not making a circuit.

AVF Regular
    definitely a problem with your switch. when dropping it you may have dislodged/jammed something on the inside. maybe try taking out the battery and wrapping your mod in something like a thick towel and giving it a few bumps on a hard surface.. this might jiggle free whatever may have jammed like a spring or something, otherwise something has dislodged and you're going to have to take it apart and assess the damage
    I Don't Smoke Analogues