Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Noe

Thread: Stingray Clone from Angelcigs

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.

Stingray Clone from Angelcigs

So around the time of Angelcigs free giveaway link: Angelcigs from China, give away 5 items
    I was contacted by Doris, our Angelcigs rep. & asked if I'd like to review any of their products here on AVF.
    After looking at their product list, the item that most stood out as being potentially interesting for a lot of Aussie vapers was the Stingray mod clone, which can be purchased with free shipping, for under $30AU(cost = $25US) here: Mixed Stingray Style Mechanical Mod
    So I let Doris know this & she arranged to send me a Stingray clone, free of charge for the purposes of review, this was sent out on about the 14th of April, in fact it was packaged & sent out within hours of my letting Doris know that I'd like to review the Stingray.

Disclaimer:
    I received the Stingray mod clone Free for review purposes, from Angelcigs.com, this in no way influences my opinions stated below of this mod.
    My opinions below are 100% honest & without bias.

Shipping:
    Angelcigs.com use China Post for their free shipping service, as many of us here know CP can be very slow & at other times packages can arrive within a couple of weeks, this is not a reflection on Angelcigs, who offer upgraded shipping using DHL, EMS or UPS, if you choose to pay for those services.
    However, my Stingray clone only arrived 9 days ago & I have been using it almost exclusively since it arrived, so I can get a good feel for how it performs.
    So China Post shipping in this case took around 6 weeks to arrive to me.

Packaging:
    My mod arrived safely & in good condition, packed inside a padded envelope, in a plain white, thin, cardboard box, with a clear cellophane covering over the Stingray. The box itself was quite a bit squshed & beaten up looking but the bubble wrap padding of the envelope prevented any damage to the mod, so all in all the packaging was adequate.

Initial impressions:
    The Stingray clone looks, IMO, very good right out of the box, it was highly polished & reflective when it arrived, I could have shaved using it as a mirror.
    However, it is made mostly of brass, with stainless steel accents, so unless you coat it with a clear lacquer or polish it often, it is going to get dulled, as you will see from the pics below.
    The logo & "serial #"(not sure if this is unique or not) & design on the switch bottom are all etched into the metal, most likely by laser etching, not just painted on, this means they will last, the paint or ink used may wear over time but the designs will still be etched into the mod.

Threading:
    The threading on all the parts of the mod is free of grit & operates smoothly.
    The one problem I did encounter with the threading was on the locking ring, while the threading is smooth, it can, if you over tighten it, become locked open(so the switch will still work) on the brass of the mod. This is easily fixed though with a drop of lubricant, since this ring does not play a part in the electrical connectivity, any lubricant will be fine, I simply used a drop of PG & have not had the problem occur since.

Configurations:
    The Stingray mod clone, can be used with 18650 or 18500 or 18350 batteries & can use a "kick" with any of those batteries.
    It is not telescopic, instead it has modular tubing, allowing you to use only the tubes needed for your chosen configuration.
    This includes 3 tubes, the bottom most will always be needed, the 2 other tubes, 1 longer, 1 shorter, may or may not be needed depending upon your needs.
    For my use in testing, I used the bottom tube & the longer of the 2 other tubes for use with an unprotected 18650 Panasonic battery.

The Switch:
    For me, the switch is a very important part of any mech mod, a good switch makes the mod & determines how much I will use a mod.
    Through experimentation, I have found I most like magnetic switches & I am pleased to say, the Stingray mod clone has a magnetic switch.
    When I first started using this switch, it was a little "gritty" feeling & crunchy, it did even get stuck in the on position a few times on the first few hours of use.
    After inspection, I found that this was due to the stainless steel of the switch catching slightly on the brass of the mod body, to fix this I applied a drop of PG around the brass, which allowed for less friction & it has not happened since, also the crunchiness is no longer an issue after doing this.
    I believe that this is caused by the switch housing being very slightly off center & that over time this issue would disappear on its own, as the SS wears on the brass & "beds in".

The switch action is very nice, once the "gritty" issue was resolved, pressing anywhere on the switch, sides or center, will have your atty firing.
    The throw appears to be adjustable by disassembling the switch & screwing the lower magnetic contact up, to shorten the throw. The throw on mine is set at 2-3mm.
    This has no effect on the length of the switch or mod, simply it reduces the gap between magnets.
    The contacts are silver plated where the switch screw meets the battery & where the connection is made in the switch itself, the connection between mod & switch is brass to brass.

The locking ring works effectively but like most magnetic switches, this is not really needed, since the magnets can easily support the weight of the mod, 18650 battery, my heaviest atty & full tank of juice, without the switch ever firing or likely to.
    It does make the mod a little more stable though, if it is in a place a bump may knock the mod over but I have bumped my coffee table with the mod on it, without the locking ring screwed down & the mod was still standing.
    So IMO, the mod is stable enough without the locking ring ever being used.
    Overall I like this switch a lot & the Stingray will see a lot of use because of it.

510 connection & airflow:
    The 510 connection has a silver plated positive contact, which is "floating", this will allow most atties to sit flush on the mod, with good connectivity.
    The design of the floating pin does not use springs or require screwing of the pos pin, simply screw your atty onto the mod put the battery in & screw the switch onto the mod, I like the way this has been designed very much, it makes using the mod with your favorite atty a breeze.

Airflow to the atty is very good, if your atty pulls air in from the 510 connection. Due to the 4 channels cut into the stainless steel, which are wide & open, however these are not adjustable but really if you want adjustable airflow, there are atties that are designed for that.

Performance & Size:
    Overall, this mod performs very well, if the original Stingray is designed equally as well then this Stingray clone has me considering ordering an original.
    I think anyone looking for a new mech mod, that doesn't already have a Stingray or Stingray clone, could do a lot worse than ordering one of these.

The size of this mod in 18650 mode is very good, it is shorter than the Smok Magneto (which I like a lot & use regularly) & the Nemesis clone (which I never really liked the switch set up of, even after attempts to modify & doesn't see much use), as you will see in the pics below.
    It is shorter than the P+ 18650 & the Romuluz hybrid 18650(mod body measured only) also.
    In fact, this is the shortest 18650 mod I now own, which may have it competing with some 18350 mods for those vapers that like a mod that isn't too long.
    Measurements using my tape measure, with 18650 battery inside the mod, came in at 88mm long x 22mm diameter.

Pictures:
    Sorry about the poor quality of the pics but the poor lighting had a lot to do with these, however, they will give you an idea of how the Stingray looks.

Size comparison from left to right:
    Magneto, Stingray clone, Nemesis clone, all with the same (Aspire BCC) atties & drip tips(different colors) attached.

Size comparison, Magneto, Stingray clone (with kick tube attached), with the same (Aspire BCC) atties & drip tips(different colors) attached.
    Surprisingly, the Stingray is still shorter than the Magneto.
    You can see in this pic. how shiney the kick tube is compared with the other tubes on the Stingray, since the kick tube is unused.

Stingray clone with brass Kraken atty attached, I think this is a perfect match for looks (front):

Stingray clone with brass Kraken atty attached (back):

Design on the switch bottom:

Stingray mod clone broken down into pieces, showing the floating 510 pos pin & silver plated contacts:
    Last edited by Noe; 01-06-14 at 11:44 PM.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Super Moderator
    wow Noe you must really like this mod lol

well written and a really good review, shame I dont vape anymore or I would most likely want to buy one...

AVF Regular
    I reckon that may well be from the same factory as mine - recieved on friday (Hcigar stingray clone), I also had the locking ring stick on the brass tube a little & the 'crunchy' switch that stuck occasionally.
    After a weekend of use both issues dissapeared as it 'bedded in'.
    Like you I'm sold on this thing, threads are great, switch is very nice now it's bedded, it never fires sitting on the switch even with an 18650.
    Seems like a much higher quality piece than a lot of other clones.

It has replaced my Zmax V5 as my mod of choice, I was wary of mech mods & had intended to just use this at home & the Zmax at work, but it's just so damn good that I can't go back to the Zmax.

In 18350 mode it's real compact, pocket friendly, even in 18500 mode (how I mostly use it) it fits in a pocket with my DID atty on it no problem.

AVF Regular
    wow! I 'm so surprised about your review. Thanks a lot.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhojin View Post
    wow Noe you must really like this mod lol

well written and a really good review, shame I dont vape anymore or I would most likely want to buy one...
    Yep I do

Quote Originally Posted by TonyK View Post
    I reckon that may well be from the same factory as mine - recieved on friday (Hcigar stingray clone), I also had the locking ring stick on the brass tube a little & the 'crunchy' switch that stuck occasionally.
    After a weekend of use both issues dissapeared as it 'bedded in'.
    Like you I'm sold on this thing, threads are great, switch is very nice now it's bedded, it never fires sitting on the switch even with an 18650.
    Seems like a much higher quality piece than a lot of other clones.

It has replaced my Zmax V5 as my mod of choice, I was wary of mech mods & had intended to just use this at home & the Zmax at work, but it's just so damn good that I can't go back to the Zmax.

In 18350 mode it's real compact, pocket friendly, even in 18500 mode (how I mostly use it) it fits in a pocket with my DID atty on it no problem.
    As far as clones go, this is a really well made mod, I had trouble trying to find faults with it & aside from the 2 minor issues, which you also experienced, it has performed flawlessly.
    The locking ring issue, isn't really an issue at all, a drop of lube & it is solved, it can still get a little tight but unscrewing the switch at the same time allows it to be freed.
    Some kind of knurling or slots cut into the ring may have helped to prevent this minor problem but it would have detracted from the look of the mod, perhaps using a larger gauge threading on the locking ring section would have been more ideal & could have prevented the issue too but it is such a minor thing it is almost a non-issue.
    Now a "sticky" switch is not normally a "minor issue" & I am not trying to down play it at all but the reason I say it is minor is that it does bed in & once it does the problem doesn't re-occur.
    I have tried to make it happen again, since it has bedded in & nothing I do makes it stick like it did.

There is still some concern I have, that a totally inexperienced user could have the same issue & not realise the danger, leaving the button stuck in the on position & potentially overheating the battery or frying the atty & causing a fire but this is highly unlikely even for an inexperienced user.
    This is the one thing I think could have been resolved at the manufacturing level, an extra 0.5mm internal diameter(maybe even less) ground off the stainless steel would have kept the mod looking the same & resolved the problem IMO.
    So as long as users have some awareness of the condition & are careful for the first couple of days of use, then it should be fine, from what I have seen in testing the unit.
    The problem does "self correct", however adding a drop of lubricant around the outer diameter of the brass mod tube, where it screws onto the switch will help as well & remove some of the crunchiness from the switch immediately.

The only other thing I would prefer on it & this is merely a cosmetic thing, is for it to have stainless steel tubes, since polished brass becomes dull so quickly & this is really just a personal preference.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!