Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Dna20 Question.

AVF Regular

Cool Dna20 Question.

Okay so im using the fasttech version, so maybe this dowsnt apply to the originals, i dont know. I put a 2.4ohm coil in my dna20 and it reads 7.0W, the atomizer showing at 2.4v and the voltage showing at 4.2v. I wanted to make it vape a bit less hot so i put in a 3.0ohm coil. So now its showing 3.0ohm, 7W and 4.6V! Its actually firing hotter? So how does this work? Im new to dna's but shouldnt a higher ohm coil fire less hot than a lower ohm? Im still firing it at the same watt setting but getting higher voltage. Can someone explain that to me or is my build a bit dodgy? It seems to vape well enough though. How do i make a vape thats not so hot?

lmb
    AVF Regular
    If you want to make the vape cooler, you should be adjusting the wattage. A higher ohm coil will need more voltage to reach your desired wattage. Consider the wattage as the constant in your calculations.
    steve.c likes this.

AVF Regular
    As with above, the higher the coil resistance, the higher the voltage required.
    3.0 ohm @ 7w = 4.6v
    2.4 ohm @ 7w = 4.2v
    1.8 ohm @ 7w = 3.5v
    1.4 ohm @ 7w = 3.1v

And so on, and so forth. (TheEcigStop.com - Your quest for the best e-cig ends here! - OHM, AND JOULES LAW CALCULATOR)

What atty are you building the coil for?
    steve.c likes this.

AVF Regular
    Put a lower ohm coil and the Voltage will go lower with still 7 watts. But then it is regulated so you still get 7 watts output no matter what ohm you do.

Is 7 watts really hot for you? It is a low wattage for me..

What atomizer are you using?

AVF Regular
    The DNA20 won't go any lower; if you're looking for a cooler vape a kick 2 will go down to 5w or most 14mm mods will do this too.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeug View Post
    Put a lower ohm coil and the Voltage will go lower with still 7 watts. But then it is regulated so you still get 7 watts output no matter what ohm you do.

Is 7 watts really hot for you? It is a low wattage for me..

What atomizer are you using?
    According to the specs from Evolv the DNA 20 gives a minimum of 7 watts and 4 volts. It doesn't have a step down so can't give less than what's in the battery. The best you could do is a 2.3 coil which will regulate at 4.01 volts.

Otherwise you might as well use a mech mod.

AVF Regular
    Thanks guys, i still dont get the watts versus ohms thing, but ill build a lower ohm coil and should be good to go. So if i build a 1.5ohm coil ill get around 3.3v? Im just not used to vaping at over 4 volts, the throat hit is a bit uncomfortable for me.Im using the kayfun btw.

This is why I prefer VV, and the VTR (3W-15W).
    Your lowest is 7W so now you have to try out everything to see what works, the liquid can change so much maybe try different liquids and see if that helps.
    steve.c likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.c View Post
    Thanks guys, i still dont get the watts versus ohms thing, but ill build a lower ohm coil and should be good to go. So if i build a 1.5ohm coil ill get around 3.3v? Im just not used to vaping at over 4 volts, the throat hit is a bit uncomfortable for me.Im using the kayfun btw.
    No you won't. DNA has no step down, it can't give less than what's in the battery (4 volts when full). Well technically I guess you can, but it will be no different to putting it on any mech mod. You won't get 3.3 volts until the battery drops to 3.3 volts.

This is provided the spec sheet for the DNA 20 is correct (which you'd kind of hope it is) and that the clone works in the same manner.

The easiest way to think of watts is that it provides the same amount of power no matter the resistance (ohms) by changing the volts for you. The idea is that it makes everything easier, if you build a 2.3ohm coil and a 3ohm coil in the same atomizer the idea is that they will both taste identical as the same amount of power is being applied (whereas you would need to tinker with voltage if it was vv). In reality I do prefer it to VV but I generally still need to alter the wattage slightly.
    Last edited by Quom; 04-06-14 at 01:26 PM.
    CMB and steve.c like this.

AVF Regular
    Ok now i get it, i wont get less than 4v until the battery drops. So i suppose a 2.3ohm would get me around the 4v mark. Cheers guys and thanks for the links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast