Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: contact vs non contact coils

AVF Regular

contact vs non contact coils

hey all - not sure if this has been discussed before - i couldn't find anything.

i know there's a lot of coil snobbery and one upmanship and that there is a shit load of coil designs that are great to look at and fun to build (i have tried a few now ).

what i have found is that me and contact coils cant seem to get along. i can build them just fine, they look fantastic in an RDA right? and i have no issue putting them together - they are much quicker than a really good genesis non-contact coil on SS mesh - but i prefer the vape i get from non-contact on a genny. i can get plenty of flavour and vapour etc. on my genny builds but i just find it overall to be a much smoother vape. with contact on RDAs i am finding it to be an extremely harsh vape using identical juice.

i toyed with lowering the nic, but i think i am at a level that works for me right now.

in the next couple of days i am going to experiment with non-contact on RDAs, with both cotton and silica and different wire.
    for me its all about the experience - i couldn't give a toss if i am using a 0.003rΩ twisted-rhinobutt-chickencoopfencewire coil if a 4/5 non-contact works just as well.

anyone else had similar experience or am i just a wussy ?

any good advice i should consider on non-contact coils in an RDA ?

edit for clarity on last question

thx all
    Last edited by vengaman; 05-06-14 at 12:37 PM.
    amount saved by not smoking: $lots
    amount spent on vaping: $not enough

never got into gennies and steel, i'm not known for me patience and they looked too fiddley for me, I found throat hit seemed worse with contact coils and cotton if the airflow was poor... not aligned in a dripper or too high inth Kayfun/Russians. I know some prefer mesh and SS Rope for their vapes (easier maintenance and cleaner taste is the common report) I have found that the higher the wattage the more throat hit and therefore lower the nic and increasing the VG content can help. Also if you are not wicking enough or "choking" your wick with too much cotton the dreaded dry hits happen. Silica was the go to before cotton, there is also hemp/cotton rope like Organic Cotton/Hemp Wick "Eco-Wick" – Vapersphere that I am about to try on my next rebuild.
    Last edited by Monk EyBoy; 05-06-14 at 11:16 AM. Reason: can't spell steel

AVF Regular
    Agree with Monk, its all about the air flow. If it's not right, it's going to be harsh.

Smooth vaping here on just a single contact coil in the dripper & Kayfuns, 10-15 watts.
    ticks likes this.

$3642 Spent on Vaping

AVF Regular
    whatever works for you stick to it. Not many ppl use mesh setup nowadays because its more complicated to setup. My mesh setups give a very clean taste, and very low maintenance. If you are chasing clouds though, silica or cotton is the way to go. If not, just stick to mesh and enjoy your vape.

AVF Regular
    definitely not a chaser here. I am aware of airflow, I have tried it all ways. I tried different amounts of cotton and juice, I have over and under-filled, etc. but the harsh-ness is always there.

pretty sure its a coil taste thing - not a config thing. I have some silica on the way (as I have never owned any to date), is cotton possible in a non-contact coil setup? I personally see no reason why not, as long as there is enough to make contact with the coil when wicking. pah - maybe i'll just try it anyway - not like anything bad can happen I guess.

keen to sort this as RDA is too bloody handy to ignore
    Monk EyBoy likes this.

AVF Regular
    I never use to use cotton in my rda setups. Till I tried the parallel coil. Single parallel coil 4 wraps 28g at 2mm or less comes in around 0.3ohms. Cotton through the coil and bedding under it as well. Havent tried dual parallels yet but single seems to be enough for now.

AVF Regular
    I've got a bit of a coil question, hope it's ok if I ask in here.
    I run a dual coil set up in my fogger v4 of 32g kanthal 5wrap around a 5/64 bit, it's 1ohm. They light up good but I feel as though there's not enough surface area. How would I get more surface area but still get quick lighting coils. I have some 28g but to get 1ohm it'd be like 10-13 wraps dual coils and it'd take a year for them to heat up enough wouldn't it??
    Toddosh likes this.
    Apparently I have to be a sheep or get punished.

AVF Regular
    doesn'e matter anymore.

I think I answered my own question. this is a much smoother vape than I had with any other build I tried. (28g, 2.5mmƟ, cotton c0.9Ω).

now I have this, I will work on dual version of same and see how that fares, and then will try with silica vs cotton, but to be honest this is my kinda all day thing right here.

its amazing how this is so very different to a contact micro coil of the same gauge and resistance, with same cotton material and same juice. this is sweet.

/me learns more
    Last edited by vengaman; 05-06-14 at 01:43 PM.
    Fatman likes this.

AVF Regular
    You could try twisted 32, it will give you more coverage and still heat up fast!

With cotton and micro coils for gennies I still prefer mesh and normal wraps IMO the taste is more cleaner

AVF Regular
    yeah I agree on the genny - mesh it is too, I wouldn't change that, its awesome.

I was more looking for advice on coils in rda here, but like I said, think I just made huge progress. twisted 32 huh ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast