Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Ohms Law Calculator

Ohms Law Calculator

Wasn't really sure what category on the forum to place this, I know there are 1000's of Ohms law calculators on the net, but it requires you to be online to use them unless you have an android/iphone app. So this is a just a quick calculator I made for PC. I have it on my desktop for quick and easy access as I am normally around my computer when building coils. Written in Delphi programming language and if you want the source code just send me a pm and I will send it, its very simple... just input any 2 values and hit calculate to get the other values.

Windows "Lite" version: Windows Lite Download
    ScreenShot

Windows "Full" Version: Windows Full Download
    ScreenShot

Linux "Lite" Version: Linux Lite Download
    ScreenShot

UPDATES:
    21/06/14 - Added "Lite" Windows version, simple Ohms law calculator
    23/06/14 - Added "Full" Windows version with more user options
    15/08/14 - Added "Lite" Linux version, basic Ohms law calculator
    Last edited by Departure; 16-08-14 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Updates

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Departure View Post
    Wasn't really sure what category on the forum to place this, I know there are 1000's of Ohms law calculators on the net, but it requires you to be online to use them unless you have an android/iphone app. So this is a just a quick calculator I made for PC. I have it on my desktop for quick and easy access as I am normally around my computer when building coils. Written in Delphi programming language and if you want the source code just send me a pm and I will send it, its very simple... just input any 2 values and hit calculate to get the other values.

ScreenShot

Download
    https://www.mediafire.com/?5o3byfnbow386in

P.s
    If you got any other ideas on programs we could do to make vapinglife easier just post below your ideas. I am not a programmer but I have been using Delphi,C,C#, and Assembly for over 8 years as hobbyist
    I knocked one up in an excel spreadsheet to use . Nothing too fancy but does the job

nice.. excel is great for formulars but you must have microsoft office or free alternatives(open office ect..) to use it..

I added an extra optional calculation for battery life when inputting battery capacity in mAh, simple formular, (mAh / 1000) / Pow(Amps, 1.25)
    Now adding wire length needed for coils based on wire gauges of Kanthal A1 to this program, Will update first post if people are interested to use this.

AVF Regular
    So would i be right in thinking that if i entered my current values that i know, which are 1.5 ohm at 3.5V makes it about 8.1 watts, if i build my own coil and it comes out at say 1.6 i can still run it on a VW setting and set for 8.1 watts and the device will adjust the voltage for me or alternatively use the calculator and it comes out at 3.6 volts, so i just have to turn up the voltage to 3.6 to get the 1.6 ohm coil to vape similar to my preferences ? How am i goin with this, sound right ? Thanks
    *I Use Clones*

Thats correct

While this calculator is aimed at people with mechanical mods so they dont go over there amp limit of the battery, it can be used just like you said to get an idea of what a vv/vw device would adjust to, or if you only had a just a VV or just a VW device and you wanted to vape at a given wattage/voltage, and vice verser
    Sludge likes this.

Have to ask what on earth is Delphi? Is it another random pascal/python/ruby variant?
    There's 10 types of people in this world that understand binary: those who do and those who don't.

Delphi is derived from pascal, Its been around a long time, had its most fame in the 90's and the infact one of the developer of Delphi is said to have developed microsoft .net frame work based on Delphi. It is as powerful and flexiable as C++ languages but with the structor of Pascal, Pascal has always been a well structured language, hence the reason why they taught it in schools. But to anwser your question is no its not a random pascal/python/ruby variants, Infact it was one of the most popular programming lanuages in the late 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by Departure View Post
    Delphi is derived from pascal, Its been around a long time, had its most fame in the 90's and the infact one of the developer of Delphi is said to have developed microsoft .net frame work based on Delphi. It is as powerful and flexiable as C++ languages but with the structor of Pascal, Pascal has always been a well structured language, hence the reason why they taught it in schools. But to anwser your question is no its not a random pascal/python/ruby variants, Infact it was one of the most popular programming lanuages in the late 90's.
    Thanks for the info... never heard of it or known of it getting taught in schools. Python and Scratch are the most common languages taught in Primary/High School at the moment with Java pushing its way in more recently. Seems Delphi is just one companies licenses name over Ob Pascal, invented in '95 - not much information on it out there, managed to find its timeline bouncing through wikipedia. Interesting indeed...
    There's 10 types of people in this world that understand binary: those who do and those who don't.

yeah I dont think they teach pascal in schools anymore, Delphi has an interesting history along with the grandfather pascal language, I use this langauge because it has strict rules in the formatting of code compared to C languages which looks cryptic and unreadable if written by a non professional coder. Delphi on the hand is good programming structure where the user must declare variables and constants at the begining of the function/procedure, which is much more readable in my opinion, also instead of curly braces it uses key words such as Begin and End for a block of code, As you can proably guess this is much more readable.

Here is the code to this program, while its not the best as it lacks some extra error checking and was whipped up in less than 30 minutes, I am willing to bet if you are familiar with any langauge you will be able to read this just fine and understand what is going on..

The quote tags doesn't support indentation of code so it might make it a little harder to read, indentation makes it so much more easier to read....
    procedure TForm1.btnCalcClick(Sender: TObject);
    var
    fVolt, fAmp, fResist, fWatt, fBattLife, fBattMah: Single;
    begin

// ============ Set all variables to 0 =====================
    fVolt := 0;
    fAmp := 0;
    fResist := 0;
    fWatt := 0;
    fBattLife := 0;
    fBattMah := 0;

// ========= Input initial variables =======================
    if lblVolts.Text <> '' then
    fVolt := StrToFloat(lblVolts.Text);

if lblAmps.Text <> '' then
    fAmp := StrToFloat(lblAmps.Text);

if lblResistance.Text <> '' then
    fResist := StrToFloat(lblResistance.Text);

if lblWatts.Text <> '' then
    fWatt := StrToFloat(lblWatts.Text);

if lblBattMah.Text <> '' then
    fBattMah := StrToFloat(lblBattMah.Text);

// ================== Ohms Law =============================
    if ((fVolt > 0) and (fResist > 0)) then
    begin
    fAmp := fVolt / fResist;
    fWatt := fVolt * fAmp;
    end;

if ((fVolt > 0) and (fWatt > 0)) then
    begin
    fAmp := fWatt / fVolt;
    fResist := fVolt / fAmp;
    end;

if ((fVolt > 0) and (fAmp > 0)) then
    begin
    end;

if ((fAmp > 0) and (fResist > 0)) then
    begin
    fVolt := fResist * fAmp;
    end;

if ((fAmp > 0) and (fWatt > 0)) then
    begin
    fVolt := fWatt / fAmp;
    end;

if ((fResist > 0) and (fWatt > 0)) then
    begin
    fVolt := Sqrt(fWatt * fResist);
    fAmp := fWatt / fVolt;
    end;

// ================= Calculat Battery Life ===================
    if ((fBattMah > 0) and (fAmp > 0)) then
    begin
    fBattLife := ((fBattMah / 1000) / Power(fAmp, 1.25));
    lblBattLife.Text := FormatFloat('0.00 Hrs', fBattLife);
    end;

// ================ Display Results ==========================
    if ((fVolt > 0) and (fAmp > 0) and (fResist > 0) and (fWatt > 0)) then
    begin
    lblVolts.Text := FormatFloat('0.0', fVolt);
    lblAmps.Text := FormatFloat('0.00', fAmp);
    lblResistance.Text := FormatFloat('0.0', fResist);
    lblWatts.Text := FormatFloat('0.00', fWatt);
    end;

end;
    Last edited by Departure; 22-06-14 at 10:24 PM.

Written like a AMX Programmer - almost the same as their conditional formatting except their basis is C.

Are you sure you can program, I can't see any cryptic variable names in there :P nice code, very interesting although certainly can't be bothered learning another language!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast