Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: what size wire for recoils

AVF Regular

what size wire for recoils

i think its time for my first coil rebuild for my kayfun 3.1 but wondering what size wire people are using here?? and how many wraps? more importantly, what size drill bit for wrapping??....and would it be worth thinking about dual coil?

AVF Regular
    24g for me 2.0mm ID 8 wraps works for me. ymmv
    Last edited by BrianS; 21-06-14 at 10:03 PM. Reason: o is next to p when half cut

AVF Regular
    Don't dual for your first, perfect a single first.
    Watch YouTube and you will probably find most will show you a 28g kanthal wire 8/9 wrap on a 2mm dia which will give you around 1.3 to 1.4 ohm coil with cotton wick. That will work well on any mech mod or any vv/vw device which you can set to around 3.7v.
    After a while you will get better at your wick and manage to drop the ohms for a warmer vape without burning your juice. I tend to go 6 or 7 wraps on a 2mm dia and it sits around 1 - 1.1ohms, which I use on mechs and I never use a kick. If I'd done that same 6/7 wrap on my first though I probably would have burnt the crap out of it as I hadn't worked the wicking out at that stage. Be prepared to lose a bit of juice perfecting things on the kayfun as you can't rebuild it without draining the tank.
    Good luck and have fun
    Sludge likes this.

AVF Regular
    Also, try not to use a fully charged battery if your using a mech without a kick for your first few goes.

AVF Regular
    I'll be using a provari and I like it around 4.2v ......what's a kick?

What's the minimum resistance on the provari?
    I've seen some say 1.3ohm while others say they can go lower without errors?

I'd use 28g or 29g personally, and 2mm or 5/64th diameter, but I don't mess around experimenting other combos much on a kayfun any more, just same old basic micro coils that I know just works for me.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by harry View Post
    I'll be using a provari and I like it around 4.2v ......what's a kick?
    make the resistance about 1.1 or higher to start for the provari, as you get more experience you'll be able to tailor to your needs. The provari has a safe limit so if you have too low a resistance or over stress the battery it will error for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder View Post
    Also, try not to use a fully charged battery if your using a mech without a kick for your first few goes.
    Good advice if you decide to use a mechanical. Fully charged one may pop the coil if you pulse it

Quote Originally Posted by harry View Post
    i think its time for my first coil rebuild for my kayfun 3.1 but wondering what size wire people are using here?? and how many wraps? more importantly, what size drill bit for wrapping??....and would it be worth thinking about dual coil?
    Go and watch a couple of youtubes from Toddsreviews or Pbusardo. They have good coil building tutorials that will help
    Bobthebuilder likes this.

AVF Regular
    Also, some YouTube tutorials are hopeless with the camera work.
    If you can't see it clearly, go find another.
    You need to see the deck clearly.

AVF Regular
    And what would be the difference between 24g and 28? Wouldn't the 24g vape hotter/more vapor ?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder View Post
    Also, some YouTube tutorials are hopeless with the camera work.
    If you can't see it clearly, go find another.
    You need to see the deck clearly.
    I forgot to mention Scott (igetch69). His coil building vids are really good too

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast