Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Cartos and VG content Q

Cartos and VG content Q

I know what you're thinking, "you're still using cartos?!"...well I've tried pretty much everything over 12 months and recently discovered that I really like carto tanks at the moment. The draw and taste just really suits me

Getting to the point, I have a 1.8ohm boge (that came with the tank) working awesome with a 70%vg NET tobacco (HHV Legend). I can hit it time and time again at 4.2ish volts and its great. Never ever dry.

BUT I just setup a VK slotted carto in another tank (2ohm) with Mothers Milk (approx 70%vg also). I can only get 2 good drags before vapor tails off and it gets dry.

Aren't the slotted cartos supposed to wick better? Or is it the other way around? I'm confident it was primed properly (condom method, plus I dripped more into the top after putting in the tank). Any advice? Cheers.
    Last edited by tjs-81; 25-06-14 at 05:59 PM.

AVF Regular
    Firstly carto tanks rule. Love them

I can't speak to slotted cartos in particular as they don't quite work for my vaping technique. Kay is the queen of slotted cartos.

Anyway a couple of things to check.
    Make sure there is not an air bubble in your fill. Cover the little air holes in the threads and the bottom with a tissue. Blow and suck through the tissue. This will even out any air gaps in the polyfil and equalize the air pressure in your tank.
    Change your drip tip. Sometimes drip tips can impact on the vape.
    I found with the slotted that I tilted the Eliquid to much leaving the top of the slot exposed to the air in the tank. This caused gurgling for me so probably not your problem.
    Lastly you may be vaping too hard on the drip tip and not giving the polyfil a chance to soak up the Eliquid fast enough. Put the tip in the corner of your mouth and take a lot of air in with the vape.
    tjs-81 likes this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

Ok thanks for the that, and yes I was surprised how good they are! Another thought too...the filler in the original carto is noticeably less than the replacement vk's I bought. I'm assuming that if there's less filler it's easier to keep wet.

Removing the drip trip and looking down, the top of the wick becomes dry in the vk carto. Combined with a thick juice, perhaps it's not quite capable of keeping up with a few chain vapes.

AVF Regular
    i've found the vks slotted cartos a little hit and miss lately. you sometimes do get a dud, whether it be a carto or a coil for a clearo or whatever. i haven't used the condom method to fill for a long time. i always use the suck method. i find it less messy and gives more consistent results.

i put a fresh carto in a tank. fill the tank. slip the little plug the carto came with in the bottom of the carto and a drip tip on the top and suck on it til i get a gob full of juice (ideally only until it starts gurgling, but i always seem to take it a step to far). as i suck, i can see the level of juice in the tank going down and bubbles coming up as the juice is sucked into the carto. when i think i've got enough juice in the carto, i take the drip tip out and visually inspect to make sure the filler looks slushy. then refill the tank and off i go. i always start at lower voltages/watts with a fresh carto and bump it up until it's good.
    Crisscross and tjs-81 like this.

AVF Regular
    oh, and i do use fairly high vg juice. wicking is never an issue for me.

Tjs listen to Criss. As Jas pointed out to me Criss is the Queen of cartos and set me on the straight and narrow regarding these wonderful things. Ipretty much have ditched all my other tanks bar my kayfuns in favour of cartos. I now have 14 carto tanks. I use both slotted and normal cartos in my tanks. mainly slotted and I normally prefill them with a plastic bottle with the blunt needle on it.
    I found that I can inject juice into the slot and the top alternatively until they seem fullish then put in the tank and fill. I normally leave overnight but have got away with an hour if you do the suck them like a straw technique. Just draw on the a half dozen times and watch for the air bubbles coming out the side.

I'm using 80% vg and have had no burnt/dry hits since I went thru the initial prime method. I have actually run my slotted ones down to just about empty and no burnt hits.

They are worth persevering with as the vape is pretty good on them.

Basically what kay has said while I was trying to type fast...
    Last edited by Tigmann; 25-06-14 at 06:09 PM.

I have no special talent____I am just passionately curious!
    I'm not MAD_____ I am GIFTED....

I use the VKS 35MM with 70VG - Never an issue..... Althought I must add they dont seem to last as long as if I use say 50/50, small price to pay for the quality of vape though.

On the whole 'still using cartos' thing, I have tried so many different set ups, and I still keep going back to cartos in either the Billet Box or a liquinator. Cant go past them in my opinion. I have trouble with mouth ulcers if I use rebuildables for more than a few hours of heavy vaping, The only two things I have never had this issue with are, either a good old cartomizer or the little LR 510 atties.
    Crisscross likes this.

Cartos and VG content Q

Great thanks guys.

Kay when you say you use the plug on the bottom of the carto, I don't quite follow (you mean the little thing that comes in the drip tip end?). I've tried restricting the airflow at the 510-end in my own way, and sucking but I seem to get a heachache and no result!

Edit: ok I did it, so hoping it just wasn't full enough feels crazy to go through his after accomplishing every other sort of rda and clearo up until now!
    Last edited by tjs-81; 25-06-14 at 06:30 PM.

Jas
    AVF Regular
    I use Suicide bunny's mothers milk and "OB" 70vg/30pg in my billet box version 1 and use slotted cartos, They wick very very well. I used to be a carto pig back at the start of my vaping days and always keept the best advice from MJ from vapebar when i first started vaping. Condom method all the way, really work the carto in the condom for a good 5 minis then after you have squeezed the condom's bottom while you watch the juice come up the top of the carto then just let the carto sit in the condom for another 5-10min without touching it and come back to it.

Gently blow threw the carto's top piece into a paper towel to clear excess juice that has worked its way into the center hole from the condom method, then give the carto some dry pulls to even out the juice throughout the filler. Place in tank and start of at a low voltage/wattage for a good couple of toots, then increase the voltage/wattage a little more for a couple of more toots. This then will prolong the life of the carto and also makes sure that it has broken in properly.
    Last edited by Jas; 25-06-14 at 06:53 PM.
    The Glock 9mm has a historic legacy of reliability, performance, Power and perfection

Vaping has just become apart of life, It will always be there until the very end.
    Official Vanilla custard extremist and connoisseur.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by tjs-81 View Post
    Great thanks guys.

Kay when you say you use the plug on the bottom of the carto, I don't quite follow (you mean the little thing that comes in the drip tip end?). I've tried restricting the airflow at the 510-end in my own way, and sucking but I seem to get a heachache and no result!

Edit: ok I did it, so hoping it just wasn't full enough feels crazy to go through his after accomplishing every other sort of rda and clearo up until now!
    Every piece of vaping equipment has its foibles. Once you get the hang of it you will wonder what the problem was (everything not just cartos) Best piece of advice is, if you can fill then leave overnight. During the night the capillary action sets the carto. You will occasionally get one that doesn't feel right but in the whole patience is the key. A bit of wasted Eliquid at the first fill is worth it.
    Jas and tjs-81 like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast