Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Origen, Magma and Tobh clone RDAs compared

AVF Regular

Origen, Magma and Tobh clone RDAs compared

Origen V1 [unknown clone]
    Magma [unknown clone]
    Tobh Atty [ehpro clone]

All built with identical dual coils. Same liquid, same fresh mech battery.

Ease of Build
    Origen 3/5 small deck but ok once you get the hang of it.
    Magma 4/5 easiest of the three.
    Tobh 2/5 the screws were not long enough for thinner wire. Screws cut the wire if even slightly over tightened.

Air draw
    Origen 4/5 wide open gives a light enough and quiet draw for me.
    Magma 3/5 Wide open the draw is light but noisy. Whistles quite a bit
    Tobh 2/5 Wide open it’s still quite tight and whistles a bit.

Clouds
    Origen 5/5 thick
    Magma 5/5 thick
    Tobh 2/5 thin and wispy.

Flavour
    Origen 5/5 amazing
    Magma 5/5 amazing
    Tobh 3/5 muted. Still better than a clearo.

Leaks
    Origen 4/5 hardly any. I put this in my pocket without trouble.
    Magma 4/5 Same as for the Origen. Just have to be careful when refilling not to get any in the air holes under the coils.
    Tobh 1/5 this thing should be renamed the colander. Leaks like a sieve.

As you can see I don't have much nice to say about the Tobh clone. The screws were too short. Replaced. The screws were too long. Ground them down. The screw posts cut 28G Kanthal if even slightly overtightened. Rounded the ends of the screws, still cuts. The air is not directed at the coils well at all because of the AFC tabs. As I always use it wide open I'm thinking of grinding them off. If it's still a poor performer I'll probably throw it in the bin as it leaks worse than Edward Snowden.
    remi1au likes this.

AVF Regular
    how many drops are u putting in the tobh? Drippers like these that doesn't have a chamber should not be overfilled. Usually around 4 to 8 drops. And you do not usually store it right after dripping. One would vape it dry prior to stashing/storing it, that's how u prevent leaks. Unless you are getting leaks out of the 510 adaptor, that is a whole different story.

I would say the origen and magma are more prone to leaking, unless you have it upright all the time in your pocket. Because of the juice capacity, you do not usually finish vaping it dry before storing it, making it more prone to leaks.

AVF Regular
    I can leave a small amount in both the Magma and Origen and have them upright in my jeans pocket without leaks. Can't do the same with the Tobh. Tilting a full Magma or Origen past 45 momentarily does not cause leakage. It does with the Tobh.

AVF Regular
    I must admit, I really like my tobh. but I always make sure I have vaped any spare juice sufficiently with any RDA before it goes in a bag or pocket. sounds lik you got a really really duff one (or maybe my use profile is different).

I do agree on the position of the holes and the wedge thing on the tobh AFC though - seemed to be out of position to me too
    amount saved by not smoking: $lots
    amount spent on vaping: $not enough

AVF Regular
    I may have fixed the Tobh. There were a number of problems.

1) Too much cotton. It was just under the air holes and wicking liquid out them. Possibly overfilled a bit too. Cut down to 8 drops as per urecia's advice.

2) A screw was just touching the top cap. While this wasn't shorting due to the surface finish inside the cap, it may have been contributing to the leaking problems as the top cap was not quite level on the deck. Replaced with some 6mm countersunk M2.5 304 s/s bolts. Perfect size but still cutting the wire if overtightened. Just have to be careful with this.

3) Loose Nemesis switch to battery contact. This would definitely have contributed to the poor performance.

I've been vaping away on it for a while tonight with no leaks and the vapour and flavour have substantially improved - though not quite to the Origen performance. Still, I'm very happy with it. It's a keeper.

Revised scores:

Ease of Build
    Origen 3/5 small deck but ok once you get the hang of it.
    Magma 4/5 easiest of the three.
    Tobh 3/5 Screws cut the wire if over tightened.

Air draw did a side by side suck test to compare these again.
    Origen 4/5 wide open gives a light enough and quiet draw for me. May be too tight for some.
    Magma 3/5 Wide open the draw is lighter than the Origen but very noisy. Whistles quite a bit
    Tobh 4/5 Wide open the draw is on par with the Magma. It's quieter than the Magma but not as quiet as the Origen.

Clouds
    Origen 5/5 thick
    Magma 5/5 thick
    Tobh 4/5 very good

Flavour
    Origen 5/5 amazing
    Magma 5/5 amazing
    Tobh 4/5 very good

Leaks
    Origen 4/5 hardly any. I put this in my pocket (vertical with the AFC closed) without trouble. Press fit top cap is very tight (have to wet the o-rings to put it on).
    Magma 4/5 Same as for the Origen (screw fit top cap). Just have to be careful when refilling not to get any in the air holes under the coils.
    Tobh 3/5 would not put it in my pocket as the press fit top cap could come off with a little pressure. Not as tight as the Origen. Have to be careful not to over fill. Does not leak in normal use.

Liquid Capacity new catagory
    Origen 4/5
    Magma 5/5
    Tobh 3/5

Looks

Last edited by Sponky; 27-06-14 at 07:54 PM.

AVF Regular
    Nice review man, Keep in mind that the QC on clones is variable so results may vary. MY origenv1 clone has a loose center post, it was the only drawback for me. Other people had fine post's. Same with ease of taking off topcap ect

AVF Regular
    Thanks. Yep well aware of the pitfalls of ordering clones. My first Origen was machined off centre and the drip well broke through the o-ring slot! It was a real hassle to get a replacement too. It was a cheap way for me to see if drippers were for me though (they are). It has been excellent. The centre post is rock solid.
    The other two I bought from these forums out of curiosity.
    Seriously considering purchasing a bottom fed original Origen V2 and a Reo Grand but these are working really well for me and finances are a bit tight right now.
    Last edited by Sponky; 27-06-14 at 09:05 PM.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sponky View Post
    Thanks. Yep well aware of the pitfalls of ordering clones. My first Origen was machined off centre and the drip well broke through the o-ring slot! It was a real hassle to get a replacement too. It was a cheap way for me to see if drippers were for me though (they are). It has been excellent. The centre post is rock solid.
    The other two I bought from these forums out of curiosity.
    Seriously considering purchasing a bottom fed original Origen V2 and a Reo Grand but these are working really well for me and finances are a bit tight right now.
    Nice review dude, but good luck finding a bottom feeder for the Origen V2. I've been looking for ages because I vaped on an Origen V2 (genuine) and it was amazing.

I've bought a stack of clone RDA's and the next one I'm getting is definitely a genuine one.. Agree on quality of clones; caveat emptor.
    Sponky likes this.

AVF Regular
    speaking of the magma (legit) anybody actualy have a drip tip that doesn't wobble in it? i swear ive tried 20 and they all have at least enough play to be annoying when your trying to take a hit.

Big thanks to Hidden1 for his awesome work on my box mod! (vapeOholic ejuice is my crack/cocaine)

Quote Originally Posted by nukem View Post
    speaking of the magma (legit) anybody actualy have a drip tip that doesn't wobble in it? i swear ive tried 20 and they all have at least enough play to be annoying when your trying to take a hit.
    I've got an RSM pyrex shorty in mine and is quite snug. Tip comes with three orings so you can adjust.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast