Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Difference between Volts and Watts?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by keithy george View Post
    Look up Wattage in the dictionary.
    Just because everybody does it, doesn't make it right!

(*Susceptible to sloppy moderation)

Quote Originally Posted by kritikal View Post
    "Wattage" is a made up word, the correct term is power. You don't set the "wattage", you set the power. (The same is true for "voltage" (the correct term is potential difference), but that one is so far embedded in people's minds that there's no return.)
    This is true, "voltage" is a made up word but gets a pass because it's got no quick easy to say/write alternative.
    "Wattage" as a word is gibberish and has no reason for being a word since it's just as easy to say the word "power".
    kritikal likes this.

AVF Regular

Some people think this guy's a toss but i find it quite entertaining and i learn from it as well.
    *I Use Clones*

Good enough vid (if you ignore when he says wattage LOL) Note the title voltage vs watts, not voltage vs wattage
    Last edited by coopz; 01-07-14 at 04:49 PM.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kritikal View Post
    Just because everybody does it, doesn't make it right!
    Why do the Yanks still use Pounds and Gallons when their currency is metric?

..... and "flavor" should have a 'u' in it, so should colour! and don't even get me started on 'Z' when it should be 's'.

As you were......
    Fatman and soulvaper like this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

I design electronic circuits for a living... Wattage is indeed a word and a correct unit of measurement when referring to Watts. Unfortunately everyone does it because... well... its right.

Lets look to the dictionary...

Wattage:noun
    an amount of electrical power expressed in watts.
    the operating power of a lamp or other electrical appliance expressed in watts.

In audio circuits for example, we refer to the nominal wattage of the loudspeakers or amplifiers. Essentially the amount of power the speaker can handle at a continual voltage.

Also just had to add in regards to your statement: So, instead of saying "I have the wattage set to 18 Watts" you would say "I have the power set to 18 Watts". It's simple, really.

You are correct, you would not use the word wattage in that instance, however if you were designing or referring to an electrical circuit, system or otherwise an engineer or technician would ask you the wattage of the circuit or components not the 'power' of the circuit as this would yield a different response.
    Last edited by jman; 01-07-14 at 10:57 PM.
    inertiacreeping and Altered1 like this.
    There's 10 types of people in this world that understand binary: those who do and those who don't.

AVF Regular
    ohhhhh the depths of the english language...... we all fail here to 'see' the nuances in pronunciation that give us the context of a word.... and hence the meaning

Your both right

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

Its no wonder why English is the hardest language to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Altered1 View Post
    ohhhhh the depths of the english language...... we all fail here to 'see' the nuances in pronunciation that give us the context of a word.... and hence the meaning

Your both right
    There's 10 types of people in this world that understand binary: those who do and those who don't.

Super Moderator
    ermmm so wattage should you be to vape ... over 18?
    jman and Altered1 like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Well played...

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    ermmm so wattage should you be to vape ... over 18?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12