Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: wet, soggy cotton taste?

wet, soggy cotton taste?

I think this is the right place to post this.

I've been dripping for a long time and consider myself fairly skilled in the art of coil building and wicking and all that nonsense that isn't really art. But one thing I can't seem to stop is a bad, soggy cotton taste after rewicking a dripper.

It annoys the flaming bejesus out of me. It seems to happen most after rinsing the atty off. I'll wipe it all out and get it dry, throw in a fresh bit of wick, and for a fair while after the most disgusting soggy cotton taste will occur for a fair while after. I notice it happens most on drippers, and not really on my kayfuns. I've tried many different types of organic cotton, all seem to do this. I'm fairly certain it's because the dripper isn't 100% dry, and the wick gets a bit damp, but I dry the thing out so well in my eyes, and it still tastes like I dumped the wick in a pond before my ejuice.

Does this happen to anyone else and/or has anyone found a way to prevent this without doing something crazy like drying the dripper out with a hairdryer?

Thank you.

AVF Regular
    I get soggy cotton tastes from cotton in rebuildables. Tastes like wet socks. Thats why i still use silica. The wicks last longer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by arth_d View Post
    I get soggy cotton tastes from cotton in rebuildables. Tastes like wet socks. Thats why i still use silica. The wicks last longer as well.
    It's making me consider switching to silica permanently as well, the flavour is great once the soggy cotton taste goes away, but gosh almighty breaking that cotton in is sickening.

AVF Regular
    Yea I get that cotton taste sometimes too. I might try the silica idea, see how that goes. I used cotton wool cause everyone says it's best for flavor.

AVF Regular
    What cotton are you using? Organic sterilized cotton only IMO. Maybe even go for the Ken doh cotton which seems to have rave reviews. Don't give up just yet unless you have already tried the best vaping cotton available.
    LIVE AND LET VAPE
    POWER TO THE P.V.
    OFF THE SMOKES FOREVER

Have you boiled your cotton. I had the same problem with a batch i got. Boiled it etc, seemed to fix the problem :unknown:

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewey View Post
    Have you boiled your cotton. I had the same problem with a batch i got. Boiled it etc, seemed to fix the problem :unknown:
    Oh yes of coarse, make sure its boiled. I boil and drain mine three times. Some suggest demineralised, I use rain water.
    LIVE AND LET VAPE
    POWER TO THE P.V.
    OFF THE SMOKES FOREVER

AVF Regular
    Boil your cotton

I use the sterile cotton packs (without boiling) and generally only have that cotton taste for less than 10 puffs (in an RBA), but it's completely bearable

Ditto, but if you knew what they used to sterilise it. I would be boiling.

AVF Regular
    tried the cotton thing a couple of times, always tastes like ass. will try it again once i get my torch lighter from ft for microcoils, not even holding over the gas stove with pliers for ages gets those coils to stick together.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast