Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Who Thought That Was A Good Idea

AVF Regular

Who Thought That Was A Good Idea

Its stormy and cold. Just the sort of weather to practice.

I had some trouble with my diver and Sophia not working consistently and getting error codes. So I decided to work it out. Whenever I put them on my provari mini the pin would get pushed in to far and give me error codes. If I left it loose the wobble drive me nuts.

Cue music. Set up on the kitchen table with all the bits laid out. Set up the Sophia and grabbed the standard provari, check it all ok. Put a tank on it, checked it all okay. Hmmmmm. Took it off and out it on the mini. Error code. Hmmmmmm. Fixed it and decided the standard provari hoodoo was too strong so it has found its device.

Next.
    I am really liking the z-atty pro but the thought of recoiling gives me shivers. I need to be able to do it before I need to. So in the bag of tricks is an aga t2 that I got from someone ages ago as part of a tank package. Just the thing to practice on. I have the pre oxidized wicks, how hard can it be.

Really hard. Little screws flying everywhere. Ladies cut your nails first and put down a drop sheet to catch everything.

First attempt, whoops that's a bit hot, blew the wire
    Second attempt, prodded fired prodded fired prodded fired. What the hell fill with eliquid.

EPIC FAIL no wicking at all. Does work as a dripper though.

Rip it all apart. Hmmmmmmmm. What to do. I know. Grab a ready made wick and coil. Shove the wick down into the tank and set it up. Prime and fill with eliquid. It works really well. Pity about the clear tank being jammed full of wick and missing the whole point of practicing coiling the z-atty pro.

Tomorrow is another day. I have the mesh but not the torch so another purchase to be made so I can roll my own mesh.

At least it keeps me off the streets
    JWH, D1git, Robray and 11 others like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    remember, wicking on SS mesh gennys requires a big tilt - horizontal at least. upright and they don't work too well :S think of it like you are pouring the juice from the tank to the coil on the mesh - its the same action. at first my fear was that juice would go everywhere - it really doesn't (at least not in normal use).

you have to prime it by holding it that way for some time to let the juice move up. I speed mine by dropping a couple of drops of juice onto it from above.

gennys take a little getting used to - but now I find I try to tilt everything. if its working as a dripper you are really, really close. just remember the tilt.

also what mix of VG / PG - thicker (more VG) may wick slower.
    Last edited by vengaman; 09-07-14 at 03:35 PM.
    JWH likes this.
    amount saved by not smoking: $lots
    amount spent on vaping: $not enough

AVF Regular
    Don't give up! It gets easier and easier.
    Untill you get a torch, you can always use the stove

Keep us updated with the progress.
    JWH and Crisscross like this.
    supporter of genuine mods and attys

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ssstahly View Post
    Don't give up! It gets easier and easier.
    Untill you get a torch, you can always use the stove

Keep us updated with the progress.
    We have a glass electric cooktop Not quite the same LOL

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    We have a glass electric cooktop Not quite the same LOL
    Haha ok then. Maybe a lighter. Just a little harder and lot more annoying!
    Crisscross likes this.
    supporter of genuine mods and attys

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by vengaman View Post
    remember, wicking on SS mesh gennys requires a big tilt - horizontal at least. upright and they don't work too well :S think of it like you are pouring the juice from the tank to the coil on the mesh - its the same action. at first my fear was that juice would go everywhere - it really doesn't (at least not in normal use).

you have to prime it by holding it that way for some time to let the juice move up. I speed mine by dropping a couple of drops of juice onto it from above.

gennys take a little getting used to - but now I find I try to tilt everything. if its working as a dripper you are really, really close. just remember the tilt.

also what mix of VG / PG - thicker (more VG) may wick slower.

I was close but not quite there. The aga doesn't have an insulator around the hole so the wick was much too small for the space and the airflow was just wrong.

I don't have the torch to roll my own yet.

Sorry missed the question on the ratio. I always use 70/30 so it's not the VG. I think I needed a bigger mesh wick.
    Last edited by Crisscross; 09-07-14 at 03:43 PM.

AVF Regular
    You can just torch your wicks with a bic lighter!

Actually works really well, dirty flame oxidises nicely.

Was there an SA vape meet this sat at the wheaty? - if so I'll try to get there & show you how to wick & coil a genny.
    When you 'get it' it becomes pretty easy & there is nothing quite like a mesh wicked genny!

PS - if you get the wicks right you don't need to tilt all the time, just the action of vaping is enough, although most will require some tilting for the first couple of tanks untill the wicks 'bed in' & start wicking nicely.

Dual 400# mesh wicks & dual 30g coils on a kraken clone, bit of a beast:

davee and vengaman like this.

AVF Regular
    got it. no insulator sounds like mine make sure they are well oxidised and you are good to go. a butane lighter (available at most tobacconists) will get you outta trouble.
    Crisscross likes this.
    amount saved by not smoking: $lots
    amount spent on vaping: $not enough

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyK View Post
    You can just torch your wicks with a bic lighter!

Actually works really well, dirty flame oxidises nicely.

Was there an SA vape meet this sat at the wheaty? - if so I'll try to get there & show you how to wick & coil a genny.
    When you 'get it' it becomes pretty easy & there is nothing quite like a mesh wicked genny!

PS - if you get the wicks right you don't need to tilt all the time, just the action of vaping is enough, although most will require some tilting for the first couple of tanks untill the wicks 'bed in' & start wicking nicely.

Dual 400# mesh wicks & dual 30g coils on a kraken clone, bit of a beast:

Can you believe in a household that had a million and one lighters when we smoked. We don't have one. LOL have matches for the open fire. Somewhere in the shed we have a gas ring for camping. Wonder if the glass bottle has gas in it. Off to rummage amongst the spiders.

I really appreciate the offer but I am a non attendee at the vape meets not good with pubs, crowds or strangers.
    D Jovanovic likes this.

AVF Regular
    Ha!

I still find bic lighters everywhere, found 1 in my undies drawer a while back (WTF?).

If you can find someone you're comfortable with to show you it'll speed the learning up a bunch!
    Crisscross and bobbavet like this.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast