Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Battery deterioration

AVF Regular

Battery deterioration

Ok so I have a serious question about the deterioration of batteries over time. I sub ohm anywhere from .2-.5ohm's and I use VTC5's as they are the safest 18650's to do that. Mine aren't even a month old and I date them from the day they arrive at my place and get the first charge. I rotate between 3 of them to keep em fresh but I would like to know if anyone has actual info on how long they last or signs if them getting tired? I've read about 3 months and then retire them for higher ohm's ( 1+ )
    Does anyone have any helpful info on this subject?

Disclaimer: I do NOT encourage sub-ohming and if you choose to do so please do so at your own risk but for the love of god, DO YOUR RESEARCH! Safety is no joke.
    308hjute and Bobthebuilder like this.
    Apparently I have to be a sheep or get punished.

fad
    AVF Regular
    The person to ask would be AVF member supersports600, since his business is selling and supporting lithium batteries.
    mrsgruffy and jlmanos like this.

AVF Regular
    Once they start loosing their charge without using them is the time you should stop pushing them hard,if fully charged at 4.2 and the next day check it and it should be the same if not I would use for the ohms you are using,I have some that are only a couple months old and starting to show signs of this and I don't go below .6
    avtek likes this.

AVF Regular
    Supersport600 is the eBay seller I got them from.

Thanks Toddosh, I will keep that in mind and check them once a week now.
    Apparently I have to be a sheep or get punished.

fad
    AVF Regular
    A tip I picked up from a recent talk supersports600 gave is that of using an Impedance meter.
    Lithiums will have an impedance somewhere around 15 milli-Ohms when new.
    After a lot of use when the number goes into triple digits the battery goes for recycling.
    Sponky likes this.

Another random battery question is sitting fully charged battery in a charger a no no.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JimJamzzz View Post
    Another random battery question is sitting fully charged battery in a charger a no no.

Only if you really trust your charger if your auto float on the charger craps out for some reason which can happen it will overcharge your batt and then they pop
    JimJamzzz likes this.

AVF Regular
    Depends on the charger and for how long. Most chargers will stop charging once the battery is full. Poor quality chargers can overcharge the battery but good quality chargers will cycle into a top up mode when needed.

Storing Li batteries for any extended length of time should be done with a 40% state of charge and in the refrigerator (not freezer). This maintains their capacity and helps prevent self-discharge taking the voltage irrecoverably low.

EDIT: 40% state of charge not 40% discharged.
    Last edited by Sponky; 10-07-14 at 01:50 PM.
    JimJamzzz likes this.

Thanks guys time to get out of bad habits I suppose

AVF Regular
    this is probably the most reliable source for all battery and charger questions... i got all my stuff from SS600 and it gives you peace of mind knowing that its not some crappy product, they're the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by fad View Post
    The person to ask would be AVF member supersports600, since his business is selling and supporting lithium batteries.
    Toddosh likes this.
    I Don't Smoke Analogues

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast