Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nakor

Thread: 18 series batteries : Why ?

AVF Regular

18 series batteries : Why ?

G'day all,
    Just wondering if anyone knows why the devices we use vv/vw in particular are designed to use 18 series batts, if its a circuit board deal then why can't someone invent one that uses just good ol ordinary size batteries or rechargables that are readily available at any electrical store, why in particular the 18350 18500 0r 18650, i'd never even heard of these batteries until i started vaping so surely its not that hard to make a transformer in a box to output voltages ?
    *I Use Clones*

AVF Regular
    They're common in flashlights and inside laptop batteries. Considering some of the earliest, true 'mods', were built off of flashlights, it's probably why they've become so standard.
    jlmanos likes this.

AVF Regular
    battery world sells 18 series batteries =]
    also the battery world is going to change dramatically in the future with Graphene batteries. have a read of this if you're interested in such things: Graphene to make large scale electricity storage a reality
    I Don't Smoke Analogues

fad
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sludge View Post
    G'day all,
    Just wondering if anyone knows why the devices we use vv/vw in particular are designed to use 18 series batts, if its a circuit board deal then why can't someone invent one that uses just good ol ordinary size batteries or rechargables that are readily available at any electrical store, why in particular the 18350 18500 0r 18650, i'd never even heard of these batteries until i started vaping so surely its not that hard to make a transformer in a box to output voltages ?
    Nakor's right on why 18??? series batteries.

Why not regular-store rechargables and why not vape batteries in regular stores? Market size and product requirements.

90% of the devices that use batteries require the battery to provide long runtimes with a mild power drain.
    It's not uncommon for a rechargable (AA etc) to run for months at a time.

But Vaping has special requirements. Extraordinarily high power drain in a very short time frame.
    Sorry, but NIMH batteries just won't work.

As for availability: even if there is a vape shop in every suburb the overall numbers of vape-style batteries sold
    is going to be a tiny fraction of total sales, which is why you're not going to be seeing them in a supermarket any time soon.

AVF Regular
    18 series batts : 3.7V

AA, AAA, C, D : 1.5V

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF