Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: fake aw 18490 batteries?

fake aw 18490 batteries?

Hi fellow vapers, I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with fake aw batteries lately?
    I had 4 new aw 18490's show up in the mail yesterday, came in really good packaging too.
    Put them on charge, and was surprised they were done in only 1or 2 hours, thought that was strange.
    As I suspected when I tested the voltage in my provari, it only read 3.9 volts, usually I get about 4.2v out of a fresh one. So far I have gone through 3 batts since last night, I'm only getting a couple of hours for each one.
    This is real strange, I usually get a full day out of each one and I've been using aw's for a good 3 years.
    I have to admit, these are the first batteries I have purchased from eBay, as my normal vendors are sold out.
    Now I'm starting to wonder whether my charger is faulty or I have been sold fakes, has anyone else had this problem?

Ps. The eBay seller is local, from Sydney

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by pertys80 View Post
    Hi fellow vapers, I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with fake aw batteries lately?
    I had 4 new aw 18490's show up in the mail yesterday, came in really good packaging too.
    Put them on charge, and was surprised they were done in only 1or 2 hours, thought that was strange.
    As I suspected when I tested the voltage in my provari, it only read 3.9 volts, usually I get about 4.2v out of a fresh one. So far I have gone through 3 batts since last night, I'm only getting a couple of hours for each one.
    This is real strange, I usually get a full day out of each one and I've been using aw's for a good 3 years.
    I have to admit, these are the first batteries I have purchased from eBay, as my normal vendors are sold out.
    Now I'm starting to wonder whether my charger is faulty or I have been sold fakes, has anyone else had this problem?

Ps. The eBay seller is local, from Sydney
    Have you contacted the seller and told them of your issues.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    check the mah rating, not sure if there are different MAH rated versions - there certainly are for the 18650s

also 1-2 hours charging for a 18490 seems about right (maybe even a little long, i'll run one of mine down today and see how it goes).
    amount saved by not smoking: $lots
    amount spent on vaping: $not enough

AVF Regular
    There are a couple of threads here on how to spot fake batteries
    Fake AW IMR batteries.

This is the link to AW marketplace. Some info on there
    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...read-*Part-12*
    Last edited by Crisscross; 18-07-14 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Links added

No, not yet. I don't really want to start pointing the finger until I'm sure it's the batteries at fault. I've currently got 2 on a different charger, see if that makes any difference..
    With the aw's i replaced, I was only getting a few hours also, but they were well over a year old..

AVF Regular
    Check the thread XX linked to, but almost without exception AFAIK if you're buying them off eBay they're fake.
    ಠ_ಠ

Quote Originally Posted by vengaman View Post
    check the mah rating, not sure if there are different MAH rated versions - there certainly are for the 18650s

also 1-2 hours charging for a 18490 seems about right (maybe even a little long, i'll run one of mine down today and see how it goes).
    Thanks, will check it out..

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by pertys80 View Post
    No, not yet. I don't really want to start pointing the finger until I'm sure it's the batteries at fault. I've currently got 2 on a different charger, see if that makes any difference..
    With the aw's i replaced, I was only getting a few hours also, but they were well over a year old..
    You might get a wider response if you introduce yourself in the new vapers sub forum. Tell us what type of gear you are using and how you are vaping it. It will give us a better understanding of how your batteries should perform.

I am always very cautious when it comes to batteries and only deal with vendors I know and trust. I can be a bit blasť about a lot of things but battery safety is not one of them.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by luntingsir View Post
    Check the thread XX linked to, but almost without exception AFAIK if you're buying them off eBay they're fake.
    Except for supersports

Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    You might get a wider response if you introduce yourself in the new vapers sub forum. Tell us what type of gear you are using and how you are vaping it. It will give us a better understanding of how your batteries should perform.

I am always very cautious when it comes to batteries and only deal with vendors I know and trust. I can be a bit blasť about a lot of things but battery safety is not one of them.
    Yeah sorry about the no intro part, I was kind of in a hurry and pretty frustrated also..
    First time in 4 years I've had battery problems, grrrrrr..
    Just checked my other batts I had charging on my other charger, still reading 3.8v..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast