Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Correct ohms for a Kayfun and a mech?

Correct ohms for a Kayfun and a mech?

I'm sure it's been covered on the forum somewhere before but oh well.

I've been vaping for almost a full year now and loving it. A couple months ago I decided it's time to check
    out what the whole mechanical thing is all about. I must say I love the look of a mech and the smaller form
    factor is also great. I normally use a Vamo and a protank 2 with my own rebuilt heads. This combo has been
    working great for me. I normally vape unflavoured now in the PT2 on my daily work vape setup and at home
    I get out the mech and a kayfun with something tasty. Yes I'm using a Nemesis clone and the kayfun is a clone
    too. Not here to start the whole clone vs genuine topic...

I've been toying with wicking and coils on the mech + kayfun for quite a while and while it is good a lot of the time I just
    seem to get burnt taste. Tried more wick, less wick. More airflow, less airflow. A Russian clone with huge channels and
    a kayfun clone with small channels. Similar result everytime, burning wick and burning juice. Right off the bat I built
    2mm diameter micro coils using 28g coming out to 1-1.2 ohm, oh and using organic cotton for wick too. Tried going an
    extra wrap and using 1.3-1.4 ohm coils. Seemed a little better and it took longer for the burnt taste to eventuate, but eventually
    it was there. So, my question is, before I give up on the mech and just use the kayfun's on the VV device, what ohms
    should I be shooting for, for use on my mech? Maybe try building higher ohm coils like 1.8-2.0?

Btw, my nemmy clone is copper with copper contacts and seems to hit quite hard. I started with the regular stainless nemmy
    and the copper version seems to burn things up even faster. I generally vape at lower wattages on the vamo and pt2, I find
    anything above say 3.8v on a 1.5 ohm coil just gets too hot and burns the wick. To be expected with the protank though I believe.
    I wouldn't say I'm noob but I simply don't understand how people can vape such high wattages without burning liquid and/or wick.
    Unless of course you are using a dripper, which is a whole other ball game. So, tell me your thoughts before I give up on the mech....

If it's burning it could be a wicking/cotton issue (see signmeup's thread about his kayfun burning wicks, see recent thread about P.busardos video on testing wick materials). And of course the small channel kayfun might never work well.

They're all recent topics and I doubt everyone wants to write out again what they posted before...

E: By the way, I build to about 1.2ohm - 1.6ohm on a kayfun for use on a mech (with 0.3mm kanthal)
    Last edited by coopz; 27-07-14 at 06:12 PM.

AVF Regular
    I was like you and after some help from some gayfun guru's I was building to low ohms,I now build 1.5-6 ohm coils on a 2.4mm bit and finally getting to like these things,give it a try

AVF Regular
    i run my kayfun on a mech at about 0.8ohm. And both are clones

Give silica a shot.
    Last edited by arth_d; 27-07-14 at 06:13 PM.
    D1git likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by arth_d View Post
    i run my kayfun on a mech at about 0.8ohm
    See this does my head in,I read so many building this low and luven it on mech's and this is usually the ohms I Vape in everything on mech's but farked if I could ever get a decent Vape from the gayfun set there.But I am a self confessed gayfun retard

Here's the thread by signmeup I mentioned:
    Kayfun coil problem.

AVF Regular
    Have you tried silica?
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddosh View Post
    See this does my head in,I read so many building this low and luven it on mech's and this is usually the ohms I Vape in everything on mech's but farked if I could ever get a decent Vape from the gayfun set there.But I am a self confessed gayfun retard

AVF Regular
    I've just spent all afternoon with a drill and dremel bit grinding my juice channels out for this exact reason, i'll let you know how it goes, as for setup, at the moment i'm using 1.4/5 ohm coil with 30awg, i had problems with the 28 in the KF for some reason, the 30 seems better at the moment, i use it on a mech or if i use my vv i set it to 3.8 so much a muchness, time will tell, i've had a flu and sore throat so probably everything tastes like crap anyway.
    *I Use Clones*

I hate the flavour of silica. Cotton or mesh only for me.
    If I liked silica I'd still be using clearos.

AVF Regular
    I don't do micro coils in mine just regular ones with spaces between the wraps if that helps anyone.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast