Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By avtek
  • 2 Post By mathsguy
  • 1 Post By coopz
  • 1 Post By coopz

Thread: hot legs

AVF Regular

hot legs

ive tried googling "hot legs" a couple of times but the results are kinda distracting lol

i find i like the vape better when my coil is close to the airhole - rather than nearer to the posts - this is easy to achieve on small drippers like the igo s - but on the larger 22mm drippers often it means that the coil "legs" that lead to the positive and negative posts can get long

every 2nd or 3rd build i get a hot leg burning red hot

anyone know what causes this and how to avoid it?

AVF Regular
    Take your pants off.........lol......I get the same problem but only ever on my igo-l so in the drawer it stays

A good mechanical join at the post helps sink heat from the ‘leg’ or if it’s just too long, you could always use NR wire - silver is an excellent conductor of heat and electricity.

Failing that, get the girl from the ZZ Top song to build your coils...
    gtadmin and avtek like this.

Quote Originally Posted by avtek View Post
    ive tried googling "hot legs" a couple of times but the results are kinda distracting lol
    Ha Ha
    what type of coil and wick?
    Every coil should heat from the inside first, so something very wrong. The only issue I've had with hot legs is mesh due to shorts to the wick
    avtek likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by coopz View Post
    Ha Ha
    what type of coil and wick?
    Every coil should heat from the inside first, so something very wrong. The only issue I've had with hot legs is mesh due to shorts to the wick
    microcoil with cotton - ive been using 32 gauge lately - im finding that they dont last as long as coils made with thicker gauge wire - over time they unravel at the edges of the coil where the leg is - what you are saying re shorting makes sense cos i remember i recently fixed the issue by using ceramic tip tweezers to re-squeeze an old coil while it was firing and that seemed to fix it for a while - i might step up to 30 gauge

Quote Originally Posted by mathsguy View Post
    A good mechanical join at the post helps sink heat from the ‘leg’ or if it’s just too long, you could always use NR wire - silver is an excellent conductor of heat and electricity.

Failing that, get the girl from the ZZ Top song to build your coils...
    come to think of it - whenever there's been a hot leg its been at the positive post side - which on the 3d dripper is made up of lotsa bits and pieces that screw together - with not one of those pieces knurled so its hard to get a good grip - so this could have been an issue too

thanks for the replies folks i reckon it'll be fine now - too early for zz top lol

Yeah 32g is a prick to work with when using mesh or micro coils, it's always the first to develop hot spots.
    When it works, it works, but I've been using it on mesh recently and at least every 3 days needs adjustment, while 28/29g is fine for months. 32g just contracts and expands a lot.

But if you want longer legs, it's not the right gauge to use IMO, I'd give 30g a go.
    avtek likes this.

AVF Regular
    30 gauge is giving me a great vape now - got the coil right on the airhole with nice long legs and no hot spots - perfection coopz