• 1 Post By Sludge
  • 1 Post By Sludge
  • 1 Post By Minnaz
  • 1 Post By Sludge

Thread: Dual coil question ?

AVF Regular

Dual coil question ?

G'day all,
    got a question about dual coils. I recently put a dual coil build in my aqua and the resistance came out at approx 1 ohm, so each coil should be around the 2 mark. I was expecting some burnt taste as some other low ohm experiments i've done has resulted in this but i havn't had a single burnt taste or dry hit so was wondering is it because even though the end resistance is 1 ohm the coils are still "functioning" as a single 2ohm coil just happens to be 2 of them going at once, i found the flavour and the way it vapes a bit easier than say a low ohm single coil on my KF, if i go to say 1.2 on the KF things get burnt from time to time but this build seemed to be fine when i was expecting burnies. Cheers for your input
    *I Use Clones*

AVF Regular
    Imo, it has more to do with the wicking rather than the resistance. Poor wicking on any resistance will lead to dry hits and a burnt taste.

AVF Regular
    I take it you're used to kayfuns yes?
    Well even tho kayfuns and aquas are set up similar the wicking consistency is much better and reliable on a aqua than a kayfun. I've run my aqua right down to .28ohm and never gotten a dry hit out of it, well except a couple of times when I didnt realize the tank was empty but thats my own stupidity.
    The deep chanels and they way you feed the cotton into the chanels resaults in much better wicking than you'll ever get from a kayfun
    Sludge likes this.

Quick Robin to the VapeCave

AVF Regular
    +1 from me for what Minnaz says - I have an Aqua - wick it with cotton into the channels - down to bottom of vertical channel - on the Kayfun I wick up the chimney with top off - cut and push down onto tops of juice channels - no probs with wicking on either . . ..

Hey sludge,
    You got it, each coil runs as a 2ohm coil, the fact you have 2 of them in parallel gives a total of 1ohm resistance.
    I recently tried dual 1.2ohm coils in a dripper, the vape was nice and warm and moist. I then tried a single 0.6ohm coil to compare dual to single coils, the single was cold and dry compared to the dual setup.
    I am now a fan of multi coil setups. They also have the benefit of more wire in contact with the wick, and lower coil temps than a single means less chance of burning the wick.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnaz View Post
    I take it you're used to kayfuns yes?
    Well even tho kayfuns and aquas are set up similar the wicking consistency is much better and reliable on a aqua than a kayfun. I've run my aqua right down to .28ohm and never gotten a dry hit out of it, well except a couple of times when I didnt realize the tank was empty but thats my own stupidity.
    The deep chanels and they way you feed the cotton into the chanels resaults in much better wicking than you'll ever get from a kayfun
    Yeah, but i need to be a micro surgeon to coil the damn thing, those posts with those screw things on top are fiddly as f#$%.
    Minnaz likes this.
    *I Use Clones*

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sludge View Post
    Yeah, but i need to be a micro surgeon to coil the damn thing, those posts with those screw things on top are fiddly as f#$%.
    lmao u get used to it. i found the easiest way is to smash a sleeper coil in there that way theres less to dik around with when your trying to tighten the posts.

AVF Regular
    How do i do that, i watched some youtube vids on sleeper coils on 3 post attys but how do i do that on this, make one coil on one side, wrap around the post then make the other side ?
    Minnaz likes this.
    *I Use Clones*

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sludge View Post
    How do i do that, i watched some youtube vids on sleeper coils on 3 post attys but how do i do that on this, make one coil on one side, wrap around the post then make the other side ?
    ok so what i do is make the coil on one side then position it in the atty on the positive post side (the one with the insulator) then kink it where it'll sit around the post, then take it out and evenly spaced from that kink ill start the second coil. once i've got them both wraped i position the coils evenly around the positive post (which should be where you kinked it) and tighten it. then youve only got the 2 negative legs to play with which are pretty easy once u get the hang of it, might take you 2 or 3 times to try then you'll pick it up the knack of it.
    Sludge likes this.

AVF Regular
    Cool dude, i know what i'm doing tomorrow arvo now
    Minnaz likes this.
    *I Use Clones*