Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Dual coils/sub-ohming - how do people put up with it

AVF Regular

Dual coils/sub-ohming - how do people put up with it

I've tried dual coils and sub ohm coils a few times now and and am always disappointed with how harsh the vape is.
    How do people put up with it?

Perhaps I've gone a bit soft since I started vaping, but I just find it far too harsh. Perhaps I need to lower the juice down from the normal 12mg that I now vape. The warmth of the vape is nice, but the throat/chest hit is a killer that almost makes it painful.

AVF Regular
    3-6mg
    its all pointless imo

AVF Regular
    Most drop their nic level to do it like Brian S says,When I was at 18mg I enjoyed it at 12 but now I Vape 12 and now am just satisfied with that and tbh I find you will get more flavor out of a 1-1.2mm air hole rather than wide open 3mm air holes but each to their own I guess

AVF Regular
    I subohm and I like the feeling that it gives me. Hard to explain but that chest full of warm vapor is where it's at for me. 3mg is plenty and I'm now 76 days smoke free.

Just cause your preference is different you can't say something is pointless.
    sc_rufctr likes this.
    Apparently I have to be a sheep or get punished.

AVF Regular
    Harshness can be due to the coils, 30g coils will be harsh, the heat time is too fast for a sub ohm build, even 28g can be a bit harsh, for me the sweet spot is 26g.
    Wicking is real important, you have to be able to keep copious amounts of juice up to the coils, one small section of dry coil will ruin the vape.
    I think that's where most people stumble with sub ohm dual coil builds - you need to be pedantic about your coils, they need to glow evenly & from the middle out with no hotspots, it can take a bit off fiddling & adjusting to get them right & you do need to readjust every couple of days or when you notice the vape go 'off' a little.

My daily vape at the moment is a dual coil 26g setup on mesh wicks coming in at .5ohm, I love it, but yeah, it's not for everyone!
    fifthflo likes this.

I've found that oversaturating the wick with certain juices can make it quite harsh. I don't believe that it's the nicotine that makes it harsh - started with 18mg, then 12mg, now 6mg and haven't noticed any difference in harshness. The drop in nic was because I was getting too much nic once I started dripping and subohming (especially with dual/quad coils) eg headaches, funny stomach and whatnot.
    tugboatofdeath likes this.

AVF Regular
    i like it. im at .8 and looking to go abit lower. when someone drops their nic in half, id say its great

AVF Regular
    sub-ohming is fine, have usually done it with dual coil. i'm finding my 5 wrap 28g with coils close but not touching at about 1.3ohm to be great though, and a lot easier to build in a hurry if necessary.

when my torch lighter arrives i'll have a crack at the microcoil. I got a stack of this braided wick which makes it really easy to slip on to a thin jewelry screwdriver and wind a nice tight coil around, position the coil then pull out screwdriver.

AVF Regular
    Have a look at your PG/VG levels as well. I use 50/50, a lot of extreme sub ohm users, run 100 percent VG its a much smoother vape and of course they are cloud chasing some of them.

I still run at 12 to 15mg nic and while increase and decrease is noticeable for me, the biggest factor was PG/VG ratio, not all throats react the same. So I would try all options that manipulate the simulation of smoking.

I personally don't run under .6 ohms as its relatively pointless for battery life, with micro coils running in the region of 1-1.6 you can still get very good vapour production and flavour. I find cleaning the wick or dry burning with sub ohm coils is very regular and cotton I change out daily, they are pretty much done after a tank or two on my Mister and Kayfuns, but if I run a traditional 1.2 to 1.5 in a kayfun with Eko braid I can get two weeks out of the wick with dry burns every couple of days.

Again taste is preference, I like a clean vape so coil and wick maintenance is often for me.

I now have pretty much everything I could want, next step is making my own mods and juices, watch this space er cadet....

AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder
    resistance 0.9
    using stacked unprotected 2 x 3.0v batts
    calc says that equals 40w at 6.66667 amps
    these are not really high quality batts , i should be dead
    i will not mention nic mg lets just say xxxhigh %100 vg
    absolutely no throat hit which is a little dissapointing , im having to deliberately burn to get it
    makes extremely big clouds which i dont really care for , i like to deep inhale / hold my vape anyway
    no , i am not some tim tam munching stonerhead

a lot of peeps think high nic concentration equals throat hit , bah
    how i vape is probably why i dont post often
    D1git and Stabs like this.
    QUOTE=Fatman; I have licked many things ... some I am proud of , some I am not :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast