Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Why arent protected batteries used in all mechs?

AVF Regular

Why arent protected batteries used in all mechs?

Got my hands on a cheap little mech mod from Madvapes. I was going to throw in a red AW 18350 but then remembered that if I wasn't careful I could easily over-discharge it. So I'm now on the hunt for some protected 18350s.

What's the disadvantage in using a protected battery? Why isn't everyone using them?

Does the performance of an unprotected battery decrease before it over-discharges?

LNB
    AVF Regular
    I use panasonic ncr18650b batteries in my mech mods, you can tell when the battery gets to 3.6v or 3.5v. I wouldn't bother with protected batteries.

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Apart from the protection protecting against over discharging and over charging it also limits the current draw. If you are using a mechanical mod with low ohm coils you will be screwed as the protection stuff will not allow the high current draw required to fire these things.
    Fatman, Olfella and PurpleVapes like this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleVapes View Post
    What's the disadvantage in using a protected battery? Why isn't everyone using them?

Does the performance of an unprotected battery decrease before it over-discharges?
    Won't fit in most mods, due extra length and diameter.
    Yes performance will drop in a protected battery just like an unprotected one.

By 3.6V you should definitely notice a performance drop, and a protected battery cut out doesn't happen until about 3V.
    So with regards to having to change batteries, or double check voltage during the day, there's no difference in use between a protected battery and a unprotected.
    The only difference is you're protected against hard shorts, and the battery won't kill itself when that happens.
    Last edited by coopz; 05-08-14 at 01:53 AM.
    PurpleVapes likes this.

AVF Regular
    I have a protected 18650 here in a torch so i chucked it in my magneto and vaped on it, it worked and its 5000 mah but its slow discharge so not much grunt and it wont fit in any other mod but if i get stuck its an option to at least vape on something. I've often wondered how to build a special mod that would be able to be plugged straight into a wall socket, must be possible somehow with some sort of transformer box like a phone charger like input 240v -- output 4.2 v, surely there's a sparky who has figured it out.
    *I Use Clones*

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sludge View Post
    I have a protected 18650 here in a torch so i chucked it in my magneto and vaped on it, it worked and its 5000 mah
    A 5000 mAh 18650.
    Must be one of those fake rated Trustfires or Ultrafires or something.
    I believe the real highest rated 18650 at the moment is the Panasonic which is rated at 3400 mAh.
    Nasha likes this.

AVF Regular
    Yeah, its exactly like this,

is it a fake ?
    *I Use Clones*

AVF Regular
    fcuk putting that in any mech.
    battery safety people. battery safety
    Fatman and Fawks like this.

AVF Regular
    Why, whats the difference ? Its an 18650 3.7 v battery ? i don't use it, i use VTC5's but can't understand why wouldn't you be able to use that ?
    *I Use Clones*

AVF Regular
    Would you fill your car with salt water in the gas tank. If yes use that battery.
    Fawks likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast