Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: A quick Vamo question.

  1. #1
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,054

    Unhappy A quick Vamo question.

    Hey guys, a friend at work is having trouble with his vamo. The board seems to be working ok but after about 5 mins vaping the bottom of the mod is starting to heat up. I took it home to have a look at it and at first I thought it was the battery (the mod and battery are about 7 months old) so I changed the battery to one of my new aw 18650's and its still heating up. Anyone had this issue? Imo the mod is stuffed as it maybe the battery contacts, but I don't think he's interested in modding it with new springs/contacts. Anyone know a fix or the cause of this?
    Edit:
    Just checked my battery and its started to singe the bottom of the battery covering!
    Last edited by steve.c; 05-08-14 at 01:00 PM.

  2. #2
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Off grid, quietly hermity, NW Tas
    Posts
    6,476
    Steve,

    If the bottom is heating you'd normally get heat from current through resisitance (just like we aim for in the coil).
    Therefore I reckon your friend has a high resistance connection in the battery spring (thus causing heat as the electrons rampage through)
    Thing to do is reduce the resisitance, by
    1. buying a betting spring such as sold by My Vapeking -> Battery Cap for Vamo
    2. or wrapping some copper braid over the top of the spring to the end cap, such as to NOT inhibit the spring function (ie, it still springs) but to provide an alternative super dooper low resistance current path. this is my best idea now not private anymore, try some from Jaycar
    Fatman and steve.c like this.


  3. #3
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,054
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGruffy View Post
    Steve,

    If the bottom is heating you'd normally get heat from current through resisitance (just like we aim for in the coil).
    Therefore I reckon your friend has a high resistance connection in the battery spring (thus causing heat as the electrons rampage through)
    Thing to do is reduce the resisitance, by
    1. buying a betting spring such as sold by My Vapeking -> Battery Cap for Vamo
    2. or wrapping some copper braid over the top of the spring to the end cap, such as to NOT inhibit the spring function (ie, it still springs) but to provide an alternative super dooper low resistance current path. this is my best idea now not private anymore, try some from Jaycar
    Yea I thought it might be to do with the spring/contacts but I think hell just get a new mod he cba fixing it but it has been working fine up until now. Why does this happen after so long? It just means their wearing out?

  4. #4
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Off grid, quietly hermity, NW Tas
    Posts
    6,476
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.c View Post
    Yea I thought it might be to do with the spring/contacts but I think hell just get a new mod he cba fixing it but it has been working fine up until now. Why does this happen after so long? It just means their wearing out?
    No, not wearing out, just some accumulated crud on the spring contact where it meets the battery.
    Crud = resistance = heat = more crud = repeat from start until pffft.
    You gotta clean every mod sometime (sing this to everybody hurts), unless your pal is rich enough to buy a new one every time it needs a tiny bit o maintenance.
    Fatman and steve.c like this.


  5. #5
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,054
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGruffy View Post
    No, not wearing out, just some accumulated crud on the spring contact where it meets the battery.
    Crud = resistance = heat = more crud = repeat from start until pffft.
    You gotta clean every mod sometime (sing this to everybody hurts), unless your pal is rich enough to buy a new one every time it needs a tiny bit o maintenance.
    It doesn't really fit to everybody Hurts, I was thinking Another one bites the dust? But your right. Ive ordered the cap for him and advise him of cleaning procedures. Thanks for your help Mr Gruffy.
    MrGruffy likes this.

  6. #6
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    SW VIC near Hamilton
    Posts
    3,811
    At about the same time I bought my very first mod a vamo 2 there were dodgy springs going around and they were being replaced. Maybe this one got missed and he's been lucky till now. The spring sounds like a good place to start in the troubleshoot.
    Fatman and steve.c like this.
    LIVE AND LET VAPE
    POWER TO THE P.V.
    OFF THE SMOKES FOREVER

  7. #7
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Gresh11 View Post
    At about the same time I bought my very first mod a vamo 2 there were dodgy springs going around and they were being replaced. Maybe this one got missed and he's been lucky till now. The spring sounds like a good place to start in the troubleshoot.
    Yea, well i ordered a new bottom cap and that should fix the problem and told him if he gives it a good clean once a month he should avoid the problem. I checked my provari and evic springs and thay all seem gunk free and ive never cleaned them so i dont know how his got so dirty being inside the mod. Maybe some dirt off the batteries?

  8. #8
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,691
    Dont forget to clean the threads as well....
    steve.c likes this.




    Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

    Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

  9. #9
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Off grid, quietly hermity, NW Tas
    Posts
    6,476
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.c View Post
    Yea, well i ordered a new bottom cap and that should fix the problem and told him if he gives it a good clean once a month he should avoid the problem. I checked my provari and evic springs and thay all seem gunk free and ive never cleaned them so i dont know how his got so dirty being inside the mod. Maybe some dirt off the batteries?
    I just checked mine as well, but since that time when I told the paramedics, "I was in the shower, cleaning my Evic and I slipped...."
    Really, a bit of grot and current and the problem just grows all by itself.
    avtek and steve.c like this.


  10. #10
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    SW VIC near Hamilton
    Posts
    3,811
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGruffy View Post
    I just checked mine as well, but since that time when I told the paramedics, "I was in the shower, cleaning my Evic and I slipped...."
    Really, a bit of grot and current and the problem just grows all by itself.
    Pics or it didn't happen! PM me if you like.
    steve.c likes this.
    LIVE AND LET VAPE
    POWER TO THE P.V.
    OFF THE SMOKES FOREVER

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.4
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
All times are GMT +11. The time now is 09:47 AM.