Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Genesis Type Wicking Problem

AVF Regular

Genesis Type Wicking Problem

Hi All;
    I just got my first genesis style atty (fasttech kraken clone) and managed to build some half decent coils on it. I have tried both cotton and silica wicks with the same result. Good vapor for about 2 seconds then the burning starts. I've run it with the cap off and can see its not wicking anywhere near fast enough. Is this just a problem with my wick materials or is can a genesis just not sustain more than a very short burst of vaping?
    This is my last coil and wick (braided silica) Ignore the low juice level...I took most of it out but was running it with it 75%+ full
    kraken.jpg

AVF Regular
    start by looking at the coils.

AVF Regular
    That was the last one I made and its pretty horrid...I was rather frustrated at that point that I was constanting breathing in that wonderful burning taste. previous ones were much more neat and had the same problem

AVF Regular
    Did you oxidize your wire. Just guessing.

I think it was cop or Juzm that told me to check and see if it works as a dripper before looking at the wicking. If it works as a dripper then your coils are ok. I used mesh and anytime there was burning it was the coils or the airhole wasn't lined up with the coil.

Last thing from a novice is that the vaping technique is different, you need slow calm vaping. The z-atty pro video (provape website) was a great help to me.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by nanokatz View Post
    Is this just a problem with my wick materials or is can a genesis just not sustain more than a very short burst of vaping?
    Nothing wrong with the wicking ability of a genny, if they are built right. But I've only used wire rope or mesh on them, as they were designed to work.

But others have used silica, but don't ask me how.
    Last edited by coopz; 12-08-14 at 05:43 PM.

Any reason you're not using SS mesh for your wick? Works much better in a genny (IMO).

Cheers
    Darren

Remember when the only trolls you had to deal with were under a bridge, and trying to eat your goats?

What Criss said x 2, try pulsing your coils before you wick. The coils should glow from the inside wraps to the top and bottom, if that makes sense.
    When I use wick on my Kraken I use cotton, and really fluff it up first. works well with no dry hits.

Still think mesh works better on these things though. Check youtube there are heaps of ok videos out there.

I have no special talent____I am just passionately curious!
    I'm not MAD_____ I am GIFTED....

AVF Regular
    I've avoided using the SS as I am not so keen on as it seems like much more work and I suspect I would taste the metal in the vapour. But I have a bit of mesh around that I can torch tommorow and try that.

It does work well if I saturate the wicks with a needle tip and I always check for the proper glow and lack of hot spotys
    Last edited by nanokatz; 12-08-14 at 05:43 PM.

AVF Regular
    ss rope and mesh. Best for a genny setup. Beats any silica or cotton for flavor.
    Crisscross, davee, Toddosh and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nanokatz View Post
    I've avoided using the SS as I am not so keen on as it seems like much more work and I suspect I would taste the metal in the vapour.
    No, you don't. No more than you taste the stainless steel of the atty, the metal drip tip, the kanthal wire etc.
    Silica and cotton adds more to the flavour than steel does. That's the point of a genny, and why their flavour is cleaner/better.
    davee likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast